All Topics / Finance / PPOR to IP with variable and fixed loan

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of PatrickPatrick
    Participant
    @ptrck

Hi all,

Planning to purchase a unit for 400k for PPOR.
    We are looking at sctructuring our loan below:
    – 200k on variable(interest only with offset)
    – 200k on fixed loan for 3 years. (principal + interest)

In the next 5 years time, we plan to convert our PPOR to IP.

Question;
    1) For the fixed loan, upon maturity after 3 years, the loan will be converted into the variable loan.
    Will this contaminate the loan for tax purposes?

2) Will the interest tax still be deductible on the full loan amount (400k)?

3) Will it be better off to just have a 400k variable (interest only with offset) loan?

Thanks

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Patrick,
    Smart move to ask first – especially re Fixed Loans – they can bite, and bite hard, if you are not fully conversant with them.

If it were me, I would be staying Variable IO with Offset account, and pay down nothing off the loan. What you WOULD have paid can be saved in the Offset account, then removed to be Deposit/Costs on your next PPOR (or on another IP if your plans go that way) without reducing deductability.

Others on here will no doubt be able to add more, and with more authority too. Watch out for their replies….

Benny

Profile photo of PHPPHP
    Participant
    @php

1) For the fixed loan, upon maturity after 3 years, the loan will be converted into the variable loan.
    Will this contaminate the loan for tax purposes?

2) Will the interest tax still be deductible on the full loan amount (400k)?

3) Will it be better off to just have a 400k variable (interest only with offset) loan?

Thanks

1.) AFAIK, as long as the purpose of the borrowed funds is used for investing purposes, there is no loan contamination.
    The problem here is, what you are trying to do is pay off a portion of the Tax Deductible debt. Which is not beneficial for you in the long run, as you mentioned this PPOR will be converted to IP later on. Why not consider having just one loan, no split, have it interest only, and a linked offset facility where all your money will be sitting. Alternatively, you can have the whole loan amount fixed also for a few years, IO + Offset account setup. Be very careful with this one though as breaking a fixed loan is costly. So if you plan to convert your PPOR to IP in 3 years time and not less than that, this is also a good option.

2.) the interest on the loan amount of $400k will be deductible when you convert this to an IP. So having the loan amount staying at $400k and not paying down the principal amount is good for you in the long run. Just be really disciplined in not mixing personal spending with the current PPOR loan account.

3.) For me, with your goals in mind of converting to IP later on. Having one loan of $400k, an offset facility linked to this loan is the way to go. Being variable or fixed is a personal choice, if you feel more safe with fixed interest rates, then go with it. I reckon fixing for 5 years though is a really really long time. 2-3 years fixed is reasonable. But I am always a fan of Variable+ I/O + Offset set up loan.

Hope this helps!

PHP | Mortgage Station Pty Ltd
    http://www.mortgagestation.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Give us a call or send us an email for a free residex report.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Patrick

We can certainly look at further options when i get your Fact Find back but in essence Interest only with 100% offset would be the way to go.
    Couple of lenders offer a fixed rate loan with 100% offset account.

Many lenders do not allow IO with offset account on a hgher lvr but plenty do.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

1). A loan changing from variable to fixed would not cause contamination
    2) No it won’t because if you are paying PI the balance is reducing. As long as there are no redraws made all the interest should be deductible though.
    3) IO would be better as you are not tying up cash in an investment property. Could be variable or fixed – that is a call you should make. You could hedge your bets and have part fixed IO and part variable IO with offset.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of DaOneDaOne
    Participant
    @daone

I do not believe having 50% on Fixed and the other 50% on SVR with offset create any contamination. The things that can create contamination are making redraws, etc. I can see many are against pay down the Principal, so you can maximise your tax deductions down the track. Rather than just going for a 50%, 50% split, I would look at realistically what your excess cashflow will be over the fixed term and come up with % of loan to be on a fixed rate.

DaOne | Oras Finance - Your Local Mortgage Broker
    http://www.ihomeloans.net.au/
    Email Me

Help you make your dreams come true: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB3KpKX4UsI

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.