All Topics / Commercial Property / Motel as a passive investment

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Profile photo of PhilfellaPhilfella
    Participant
    @whitefella22

My wife and I are self funded and managed retirees, who are always on the look out for suitable income enhancing investments that also provide some capital gain.
    I have been investigating and researching over the past 6 months the possibility of investing in the freehold part of a NSW country motel as a passive investment to the value of approximately $1.5m.

Searching the internet and this forum on the subject has uncovered a wealth of information, providing me with some understanding of the advantages and disadvantages of such an investment, and awareness that capital gain on such an investment would be relatively low, subject to location of course.

I have several unanswered questions that I am hoping this forum can give me a better understanding of regarding the true passiveness and real return of such an investment.

It is stated that a investment motel’s expected income return is around 9% net.
    As with all real estate property regardless of condition, generally it will age and depreciate, and especially being a motel which require continuing modern presentation and operation to succeed.

My first question is, wouldn’t the average 9% return be gradually eroded and significantly so over the medium to long term when at some point in time the cost’s of inevitable building upgrades and landlord repairs are taken into consideration?

My second is question is regarding the 9% return figure, is this return applicable to the motel freehold cost only, and not inclusive of buy costs such as stamp duty, valuation and legal etc?

And finally regarding the true passive nature of this type of investment. I have read that the average turnover of leaseholders in NSW is two and half years. Taking into consideration there is no managing agent to manage the tenant, does this not provide significant landlord involvement and monitoring regarding lease’s, landlord repairs, upgrades and tenant compliance?

I thank you in advance for any information that can give me a better understanding on my questions above.

Philfella
    Email Me

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Hi Philfella
    Like any investment building, factory, shop, office, residence, the condition of buildings varies and the rate of deterioration varies.
    Not sure what you mean by building upgrades but any alterations of a cosmetic nature are usually the tenant’s cost. Structural repairs are the landlord’s cost.
    Haven’t heard about 2 1/2 years turnover with motel lessees, thought it was more like 5 years. Source?
    9% ROI does not include buying costs as you mentioned, they vary so factor them in yourself, like any commercial investment.
    If you self manage, yes there would be landlord involvement and monitoring compliance same as if you self managed a factory, office or residence.
    Capital gain exists unless you buy poorly in whistle stops.
    Unlike other investments, if the tenant does a runner, the landlord usually makes a killing.
    The landlord involvement is in direct proportion to the quality of the property and tenant.
    For most control and least drama, select and buy a freehold in excellent condition, create a carefully planned lease, sell it only to an excellent tenant, and treat it as a partnership.
    Good luck
    Cheers
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

I am personally buying properties in the United States. We are looking at everything from apartment complexes and Hotels.

What I find is that the level of returns is high

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Profile photo of PhilfellaPhilfella
    Participant
    @whitefella22

Thank you thecrest,

The feedback you have given is very helpful, you recommend buying a freehold in excellent condition, which has been our main goal, but in saying that it seems we are going to have to be very patient and very persevering to obtain such a property.

As so far I have been disappointed by the low supply of available quality investment freeholds over the period we have been looking.
    I don’t know if this existing motel market is a favorable buyers market or not, you may have an opinion on this?

You also mention “create a carefully planned lease, sell it only to an excellent tenant, and treat it as a partnership”, I assume you are implying the purchase of a going concern, both leasehold and freehold, and then separately selling the leasehold.

This is something I have not considered, it would certainly open up a bigger market to choose from.

But I think also would be challenging having to negotiate a sale condition that allowed for a delayed settlement until a suitable lessee was able to be put in place.
    Or alternatively, having to operate it personally for the period needed to find a good tenant to purchase the leasehold, something I certainly have no experience in.

Thanks
    Philfella

Philfella
    Email Me

Participant
    @thecrest

Hi Philfella.
    Relief Managers can take over management of a motel for you until the lease is sold.
    It is a buyers market at the moment.
    Take your time, keep searching and learning, the right one will turn up.
    Cheers
    thecrest

Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of PhilfellaPhilfella
    Participant
    @whitefella22

Hi thecrest,
    After Googling relief managers, I’m now thinking this is something within my capability.
    I am now planning to broaden my search to include going concerns, and also will take onboard your feedback regarding the motel market. I very much appreciate your recommendations and encouragement.
    Many thanks again
    Philfell

Philfella
    Email Me

Profile photo of TonyTony
    Participant
    @hotqld

I am wondering if there are others out there like me, looking to buy a investment motel around 1.3 – 1.5,mill, but want to spread the net a little wider by.
    1/ Meeting people to do a partnership and moving to the next level up in the 2.5mil plus range, where there may not be the level of competition in the market place.
    2/ Make contact with others looking for leasehold and doing the split ourselves.
    I am thinking this might offer the best for both as buying one already split maybe has had the fat taken out of the deal.

Just suggesting spreading the net.

Profile photo of TonyTony
    Participant
    @hotqld

Any one know budget costs for expanding a motel?
    Thinking about expanding an existing 12 unit motel to 17, the leaseholder suggested it, land on both sides are for sale with no takers The lease holder then didn’t want to pay 8-9% of the expansion costs in annual rent, because he is rarely 100% now.
    I am thinking, about a rent sweetener maybe 2% rent on the capital costs of the expansion increasing every year by 2% till it reaches 8%.
    Any thoughts?

Participant
    @thecrest

Hi Tony.
    No motel is always 100% but if rarely, why ? .
    But depending on the market position and condition of the motel, it’ll do better with new rooms.
    New ones are usually min 4 star unless that’s overkill for the area market.
    He could either upgrade refurbish existing to match the new or have split star ratings to cover a wider market,
    but all depends on location and market.
    New motels take about 1.5-2 years to reach potential, provided correct marketing done right.
    Tenant will get increasing returns over that period.
    Can be dual key, or incl apartments.
    Existing entry driveway / backup space can service both.
    Good luck
    Cheers
    crest133

Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of joejoe
    Participant
    @joe99

I have invested in motel as a passive investor in the USA motels and get a return on my investment of 12 % every month. I started investing during the GFC in 2009. Currently the LLC I have invested started with 1 motel and today they have grown into 3 motels and in the process of buying the 4th motel and partner is calling me to go and help him to run the business but unfortunately I am on a good income and lifestyle in Melbourne and I don’t want to leave it. Also the wages offer as a Manager was 50k/year. I look investment in Australia and cannot get return similar return. SO my view is look in the USA for motel investment.

Participant
    @thecrest

Hi Joe.
    Welcome to the forum from me as just one of the many members here.
    What’s an LLC ?
    What type of ownership do you have ? Leasehold under management ? ? Freehold under management?

12% sounds like a good return, is that rent or nett profit?
    Is it based on buying distressed property during the GFC ?
    Can the return be duplicated now ?
    What area of USA is the investment and can you describe the motel ? Cost ? Rent ? Restaurant? Star rating, number of rooms ? Clientele?
    Australia typically returns about 9% passive for a landlord in regional areas away from the coast.

Any information would be very interesting.
    Cheers
    thecrest

Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of joejoe
    Participant
    @joe99

Hi thecrest,

Let me see whether I can answer all your query LLC is Limited liability Company. Each motels is on its own LLC. So if one goes bad the others will not fall with the bad property. Currently all the motels are freehold with 25 years loan on the property.
    Any investment you make you will get 12% of that investment (so invest 100k you get 12k/year) note income tax is your liability.
    My partner does not like to buy distress property he generally buys property where revenue to purchase price is 3 times as a rule. Currently we are looking to buy a motels in Kentucky about 7 millions. So far the property are in the mid west (ohio,WI and IN states).

None of the properties have resturant as standard all motels in US provide breakfast so they do have dining area. conference etc. All the properties are managed and my partner does serves as agenral manager to the 3 motels. He takes a management fees for it a little higher than the usually but it the motels does not make money he gets no fees.

Currently there was distress motel with about 100 rooms in Indiana for sale about 1.8m revwenue about 650K/annum. This is close to car racing area and very good location and I asked by partner whether we can purchse the property. My partner said good location currently the property is missed manager and does not have a good reputation and it will take about 2 years to turn around the property and it is good price but if we buy the property then we need the partner to be onsite Manager to turn around the motel. Onsite Manager get about 50K/annum and it was worth for to leave my job over here.

I hope I answered all you query

Cheers
    joe

Participant
    @thecrest

Hi Joe.
    Thanks heaps for the info, always very interesting to get the US perspective.
    Just for clarification, the investment type you’re talking about in Australia is “freehold under management”, not passive, meaning you own the freehold, (there is no lease,) and you operate the motel under management – with managers.
    The typical regional return in Australia is 15% less managers cost, which varies with size of motel and responsibilities and ease of management. At a guess, the return on a $7m B & B motel with no restaurant in Australia after paying managers is circa 13.5% and there’s even better buying at the moment while banks are playing tough with finance. Not sure where or when you looked but they’re here.
    Good luck with your US motels.
    Cheers
    thecrest

Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of joejoe
    Participant
    @joe99

Hi thecrest,
    Yes the motel is freehold under management. When I say passive it means I am a 30% shareholder and the initial amount I invested as shareholder is taken as loan in the business and the business pays 12% per annum paid monthly for the initial investment amount. Just to clarify when you say 13.5% return for local motel is the net operation income (NOI) 13.5% and then you have to pay interest and loan repayment. That’s is about the returns I could find about 5 years ago in Australia. You will be lucky to get an money for the initial investment. amount. Just to give some figures the last 3 years the NOI for the business was 33 to 37 percent annually The profit after interest and loan repayment was about 22 to 25% annually. The shareholders in the last 5 years took 80 to 100 % for their initial investment. Every 6 months the shareholders get back a certain percentage of their initial investment. Shareholders get only get 12% of their initial outstanding investment. Some Shareholders does not like to take the initial investment because the ROI amount will be reduce. This comes to individual risk appetite. In 5 years among 4 shareholder all expect 1 have taken their initial investment. Now the business is paying down the debt and we get about 8% return as shareholder. Now the property have about 40 % equity compare to the 15% at the start. Since the 15% initial equity is taken by most shareholder in actual sense the equity have gone up by almost 55% and some of the value in property appreciation. The appreciation in the US is not as high as Australia. Over 5 years the property app. is about 30%. So don’t expect a lot of appreciation in property in USA it gives a good return.

Regards
    Joe

Participant
    @thecrest

Hi Joe.
    Just trying to compare and clarify here.
    So you borrowed 85% to buy the motel, 15% deposit ? Who financed that ?!! Min 50% deposit in Australia, higher at the moment.
    And now the passive return is 8% ? Usually min 9% in Australia.
    Your situation is a bit confusing sorry, but appreciate all the info, will try to piece it together.
    Hope it continues well for you.
    Cheers
    thecrest

Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of joejoe
    Participant
    @joe99

Hi thecrest,
    I am not the full owner there is about 5 other partners. Yes the registered LLC paid 15% deposit and 85% loan (50% bank loan and 35% loan paid by former motel owner where the loan rate is about 1% higher than the bank rate).
    The return on the money you invest as deposit say 100000 you get 12% every year. All partners have difference investment propostion. Just confirming you don’t get 12 percent on the motel value. Also depending on your initial deposit you own in proposition the motel (example if your deposit 15% of the total deposit amount then your ownership is 15% of the motel).
    Currently I am in the process of buying a motel in the US. For this motel the value is USD 2.8M in this case I must invest 30% as deposit because the 2 owners are non US nationals. I am looking another investor if you interested let me know. I can give you more details

regards
    joe

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.