All Topics / Value Adding / Renovating Units: Thoughts from experienced unit renovators

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • tanjimh
    Participant
    @tanjimh

Hi, I need to get some ideas on renovating units.
    My plan is to do quick cosmetic reno and sell.

I am trying to get some thoughts on what should I look for when buying?

I guess, there is a big difference renovating a house and unit. I am bit concerned as I can’t make any changes to the exterior on a unit (i.e. Old yellow brick buildings).

Need some thoughts from experienced unit/ apartment renovators: Do you choose units that already has welcoming exterior or does it not matter?

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

The best units are ones that don’t present well internally – but don’t cost a lot to fix.

The very first IP we bought was an old run-down unit where the tenant had fled the place – leaving it in really bad condition.

It was a huge deterrent to any potential buyers – and the owner was so disgruntled he couldn’t be bothered fixing/cleaning it up before selling. He just wanted to get rid of it ASAP.

All it took was a bit of cleaning, painting and some repairs and value was instantly added :-)

The external look of the complex will play a part – some blocks look more inviting than others. The condition of the external parts will also give some insight into how the strata operate.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

tanjimh
    Participant
    @tanjimh
    Profile photo of MichelleMichelle
    Participant
    @sherlockhomes

I agree with Jamie!

It can be easy to underestimate the value of a quick cosmetic job, but the most useful advise I can give is stick to neutral tones.
    As pretty as an orange feature wall might be and suit your furniture, bespoke styles are so hard to sell.

I am an agent who has a few units aimed at investors and seriously appreciate a space thats depersonalised and universally changeable.

I renovated a home in Alderley when I was young, and we found a lot of super useful stuff from a demolition place in Brendale. We found a brand new vanity unit and bought it for $80. It needed a good scrub, but came up beautifully. There was also sinks, doors, windows etc all cheap!

A new lick of paint is always a good start, but also look at changing the door knobs, kitchen and bathroom handles and the light fixtures. Its the small things that can make the biggest difference. :) We have made these changes to our house now as well as adding some LED lights under the breakfast bar and behind the TV, changing the blinds ( $50 from Kmart and self installed) and updating the carpets.

Michelle | Belle Property
    Email Me | Phone Me

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.