All Topics / Value Adding / Splitting my investment property into 2 units, how to go about it?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of nievanieva
    Participant
    @nievita

Hi there

I have an investment property in Brisbane, its a big house with 4 bedrooms, study, 2 livings big kitchen etc and im thinking in dividing the house into 2 units. I have enough space to split the house inside to accommodate the 2 units 3 bed, 2 baths 1 car park each, without changing the layout too much. Ill have to create a new kitchen add 1 bathroom where the laundry was for one of the units and another bathroom where the walk inrobe was for the other unit.
    but now i have the following questions.
    Do i need council approval for the drainage and plumbing or for anything else?
    How do i go about the plumbing for each unit, do i need to split the system? so one sewerage each or can i have both units using the already existing sewerage and water system?
    How i go about the hot water system do i need to install a new one for the one that will not have?
    Do i need a separate electrical system and switch board for each unit?
    At the moment the house as it is is water efficient so the tenants pay the water so if i split the house in 2 units can i still have water efficient units and charge water?
    do i need anything else for each unit?
    I dont want to split the land into 2 i just want to have 2 units in the same piece of land , so in future if i want to sell it (that i dont think so) ill have to sell the 2 units together in 1 title.
    If anyone can give me a bit of idea about these issues it will be greatly appreciated.

thank you

andre

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

Yes of course you need council approval (for ALL of it).

You need to get plans drawn up and get approval to change your house from one dwelling to 2 dwellings.

You will most likely need a firewall between the 2 residences.

If you want to charge each side for water and to have their own electricity you will need separate meters for each.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.