All Topics / Overseas Deals / Hong Kong Investors?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of Stevie2013Stevie2013
    Participant
    @stevie2013

Hi curious to know if there are any active aussie expats currently investing in the HK market here?
    After 7 years in this great & busy city i’m now a HK resident & contemplating using funds here for an investment in the low end market, tuen mun / tsuen wan around the 3 million mark, Im aware of the 3% stamp duty, 30% deposit required & the likely 3% yield however I believe that the prices per square foot for established apartments has a ways to increase & catch up the the high prices that are being paid for new. I also think the Aussie should go lower in the next couple years once the U.S begins increasing rates which obviously would be good to hold an assets here in HK dollars as the currency is pegged to the U.S dollar. Anyway it’s early days & have a lot more research to do but interested in hearing what other experienced investors are currently doing here. Thanks in advance!

Profile photo of superAndrewsuperAndrew
    Participant
    @superandrew

I know people that have sold in Hong Kong to buy in Australia.

Cheers

Andrew

superAndrew | Property Analyser and Finder Tool
    https://property-analyser.com.au

Sam
    Participant
    @samyap888

Why not take a look at investments in Singapore?
    The rate of appreciation would be much faster.
    Currently, all developers have lowered their price
    on new developments. Most centrally located 3 bedroom
    apartments are asking for about S$2000psf plus minus.
    The sizes for the 3 bedroom condos are between 1100-1400sqft.
    Previously, prices would have been between S$2500-S$2800psf.

Sam | Sam Yap
    Email Me

Profile photo of nyc88nyc88
    Participant
    @nyc88

Hi Stevie2013, congratulations on becoming a PR in Hong Kong. I bet you must be very excited about attaining your residency and having the opportunity to invest like a ‘local’ would. I haven’t lived in the country for a couple of years now, but if you want to send me a PM about your thoughts and ideas of investing in HK, I may be able to share some ideas and information with you.

cheers, nyc88

Profile photo of Ziv Nakajima-MagenZiv Nakajima-Magen
    Participant
    @zmagen

I’d be weary of HK – one of the world’s reddest spots as far as bubble potential goes –

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/10746623/Financial-typhoon-warning-for-Hong-Kong.html
    http://www.khaleejtimes.com/biz/inside.asp?xfile=/data/opinionanalysis/2014/February/opinionanalysis_February19.xml&section=opinionanalysis

Generally speaking, I try to avoid places with such a disparity (rich/poor gap) – if apartments cost millions of dollars, but street food can be bought for $1-5 (I think the average HKian needs to put aside over twenty years of salaries to buy a place these days), you know there are bad news in the pipeline.

Also, how’s your monthly cashflow there? Is it purely a speculation play, or is there any money in the bank to be had monthly too?

Ziv Nakajima-Magen | Nippon Tradings International (NTI)
    http://www.nippontradings.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Ziv Nakajima-Magen - Partner & Executive Manager, Asia-Pacific @ NTI - Japan Real-Estate Investment Property

Profile photo of VandoVando
    Participant
    @vand0

Hi curious to know if there are any active aussie expats currently investing in the HK market here?
    After 7 years in this great & busy city i’m now a HK resident & contemplating using funds here for an investment in the low end market, tuen mun / tsuen wan around the 3 million mark, Im aware of the 3% stamp duty, 30% deposit required & the likely 3% yield however I believe that the prices per square foot for established apartments has a ways to increase & catch up the the high prices that are being paid for new. I also think the Aussie should go lower in the next couple years once the U.S begins increasing rates which obviously would be good to hold an assets here in HK dollars as the currency is pegged to the U.S dollar. Anyway it’s early days & have a lot more research to do but interested in hearing what other experienced investors are currently doing here. Thanks in advance!

Hi Stevie, I was over there for 5 years on and off trading and writing. I bought a unit in Discovery Bay, loved it over there, great facilities, 20mins from plane to front door by bus, great mountain trails and great expat community. I can offer you one piece of advice, try to think and work in one currency. When I was trading there, there was an inverse correlation between the HK (Us currency) and the AU$. Whenever I picked up on one currency I lost on the other, drove me crazy. The trading and banking system tools are the best in the world in my opinion and lucky you, no tax for investors, most tax efficient place on the planet, if it wasn’t for the fact I have family here, I’d be there with you. Enjoy and keep us updated on your game-plan.
    Cheers
    Vando

Vando | Surf&Yoga
    Email Me

Experienced property developer offers passive investment... 9.64% net PA, no gearing.

Profile photo of Riky HidajatRiky Hidajat
    Participant
    @ricksyd

Hi Stevie, I lived in Hong Kong for the past 27 years and bought some properties before. You might consider buying properties in Taikoo Shing. The rent and tenant quality is always better in that area. Or if it is too expensive, a cheaper alternative will be in Quarry Bay. The area has become a commercial area with grade A office building such as Island One. Nan Fung Sun Chuen is a old, but great complex for renting out. Don’t go for the northern part of the city. The growth might not be that fast.

Riky Hidajat | Xinifangzi.com - Sydney Off The Plan Property
    http://www.xinifangzi.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Sydney off the plan property consultant

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.