All Topics / Opinionated! / Religion. What do you believe? and why? and do you care if it's true?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of Tysonboss1Tysonboss1
    Participant
    @tysonboss1

Hi guys,

I am interested in having a discussion about the what people believe when it comes to religion and why they believe it, and whether they care if its true.

My personal feelings on the subject is that most religions I have had explained to me are pretty awful, and have a lot of very nasty side effects. I am interested in hearing the opinions of others.

We are currently seeing terrible things happen around the globe because of religions, I think it might be time to put away religious thinking.

Profile photo of superAndrewsuperAndrew
    Participant
    @superandrew

I wouldn’t say that wars or other bad things are caused by religion. It’s the people that use religion as a reason to go to war and do bad things.

Some people need to believe in something for them to lead a happy and fulfilling life. May that be religion or a way of living, etc. It’s hard for some to live life without having an explanation why things happen or why things are how they are. Religion offers an answer to these questions and removes fears and uncertainties for some people. This has led people to achieve great things in life.

Others on the other hand don’t need religion and have their own thought process and explanations of why things happen or why things are how they are. This has also led people to achieve great things in life.

I don’t think there is something bad with either way. It just depends what kind of person you are and what you need to live a happy and fulfilling life. Both religious and non-religious people can do good and bad things.

Cheers

Andrew

superAndrew | Property Analyser and Finder Tool
    https://property-analyser.com.au

Profile photo of itsandrewitsandrew
    Participant
    @itsandrew

We are currently seeing terrible things happen around the globe because of religions, I think it might be time to put away religious thinking.

I think you’ll find it’s the human condition that causes the problems. You don’t have to look far to see regimes that have no religion that are savage and brutal and bring untold suffering to people. Think USSR, Mao, Pol Pot. Their brutality was horrendous and the death toll between them was near enough to 100 million people.

itsandrew

Go as far as you can see and you will see further.

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry

I don’t want to buy into this argument as it is very personal to a lot of people, but I would like to say that it is untrue to claim that the Communist dictatorships mentioned above had no religion. They, and Nazi Germany for that matter, were cults of personality that developed into State religions. Dogma is dogma and is always dangerous, for the vasty majority of religious people, their beliefs bring a lot to their lives, there are others who are perfectly happy without religion also and that is great for them. The use of force, by the state, to control populations is the problem, it doesn’t really matter what it is in the name of.

Profile photo of MilkTruckMilkTruck
    Participant
    @milktruck

I don’t want to buy into this argument as it is very personal to a lot of people, but I would like to say that it is untrue to claim that the Communist dictatorships mentioned above had no religion. They, and Nazi Germany for that matter, were cults of personality that developed into State religions. Dogma is dogma and is always dangerous, for the vasty majority of religious people, their beliefs bring a lot to their lives, there are others who are perfectly happy without religion also and that is great for them. The use of force, by the state, to control populations is the problem, it doesn’t really matter what it is in the name of.

Even on your assessment I don’t think that qualifies dictatorships as a religion. And I think the substance of the Dogma makes a difference. The dogma of Mother Theresa is a threat to nobody. We shouldn’t be afraid to make moral judgements on the ideas as well as the practices. MT

Profile photo of Ameen Al QudsiAmeen Al Qudsi
    Participant
    @nwmea

I believe what i see. Why do i believe? Because it comforts my soul and conscience. I do care because i know what i m doing is absolutely true. Nothing else to bother.

Ameen Al Qudsi | Nationwide Midddle East Properties
    http://www.nwmea.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.