All Topics / Overseas Deals / Long term (25yr) fixed rate low interest rate loans?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Profile photo of sundirtwatersundirtwater
    Participant
    @sundirtwater

Other than the US does anyone know a place where you can get:

– positive cash flow properties

– financed by local banks with long term fixed rate interest loans

Eg. I hear regional NZ has low priced homes around $30k, but will the banks allow you to refinance (assuming you have to buy the first one one in cash to get equity)?

Dated 25 March 2013.

Profile photo of sundirtwatersundirtwater
    Participant
    @sundirtwater

Any suggestions from anyone?

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

You can find CF+ properties in regional areas, fringe areas of larger cities and some mining towns in Australia.  

You won't get a fixed rate term that long though – it would be risky anyway, imagine if you had to break it at some point, it would cost a fair bit.

Cheers

Jamie 

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Participant
    @sundirtwater

Thanks Jamie. I am familiar with some of the regional areas (like Sunshine Coast) and I worked on the mines too but am looking for countries where I can obtain a fixed rate long term loan?

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle
    sundirtwater wrote:
    h

. I hear regional NZ has low priced homes around $30k, but will the banks allow you to refinance (assuming you have to buy the first one one in cash to get equity)?

I don't know where you get that from but it's rubbish. Land value alone in most rural areas is worth more. NZ housing stock is over valued in the main. It's always been a bit of a wild ride the NZ market.

Participant
    @sundirtwater

Actually its more like $50k in NZ. Have a look on trademe.co.nz – there's heaps in the regional areas.

Profile photo of CheevesFinancialCheevesFinancial
    Participant
    @cheevesfinancial

Fixed rate long term?  Doesn't exist.  Not even on commercial loans.  You can possibly get a 30 year amortized loan but for foreigners, I don't see a bank giving more then 5-7 years on a term.  This does not include Hard Money loans.  Only a fool would invest with hard money long term.

In the U.S, foreigners from Canada only are given commercial loans.  However, you have to deposit 2 years worth of the properties' debt service into an interest bearing account with the lender.  It's still your money but it just has to sit there tied up for awhile. 

Kiwis, Oz, etc are able to get commercial loans also in the states.  However you must have some proven experience in the submarket you buy in.  Do you own a rental property, vacation home?  Previous development experience?  Without it, there's no chance.

Sundirtwater:  To be blunt, the loans you are looking for in foreign territory will be very very hard to come by. 

CheevesFinancial | Cushman & Wakefield - Commercial Property SW FL
    http://www.CommercialRealEstateVoice.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @sundirtwater

Thanks Cheeves.

To clarify you are saying those loans don't exist for foreigners but they do exist for Americans?

If I purchased property number one with 100% cash down and then used the equity in that to finance property two would i be able to obtain similar terms to what an American can (say 20% down, <5% 30yr fixed-rate) for property number two? 

Participant
    @cheevesfinancial

The simple answer is no.  The bank will not provide any financing leverage to you if you have to use equity for down payment reasons on a different deal.  Now, if you paid cash for a house here and owned it free and clear..THEN went to a bank asking for a mortgage of about 70% Loan To Value, then it's a big maybe.  They would still want you to deposit 2 years worth of debt into their institution.  Furthermore, these are for commercial loans… That is for multi family over 4 units.  They have no interest in lending for office or retail space, only multi family and typically nothing smaller then $500,000. 

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @sundirtwater

Yes that's what I mean – I pay 100% cash for a US property, say $100k and own it free and clear. I would then be interested in the type of residential loan that any American could obtain. Could you explain:

why LVR couldn't be 80-85%?

what 2yrs of debt means (interest payments for two years ahead??)

why a residential housing loan is not possible and it would have to be commercial

why they won't lend for a Single Family Home

why they won't lend < $500k

Hope you don't mind the questions.

Participant
    @cheevesfinancial

SDW:  Sure, I'd be happy to explain.  If anything at all, banks are only willing to give foreign national investors "commercial loans".  These loans are not condusive for single family homes.  The banks just don't have the appetite for it.  Also keep in mind that these loans are not available through your national banks ie.. Bank of America, Wells Fargo, etc… These are only available through local community banks that are willing to lend on their portfolio.   This means they hold and service the loan and don't sell it.  It is their own financial investment.

The LVR is going to be a maximum of 75% for non-US Citizens.  I'm talking MAXIMUM, certainly no higher then this.  No exceptions to that rule unfortunately.  Again, they just don't have the appetite for it.

Single family homes are not available through this program.  Again, the bank is looking for a minimum of a couple hundred grand in loan amount, otherwise, it's just not worth it to them to tie up their capital.

They will lend less then 500k depending on the deal.  Definately not below $250k though. 

Hope this helps.  I work a lot with banks and investors.  I've explored nearly every option for financing for foreigners.  I'm with Cushman & Wakefield in Florida who is a highly regarded firm.  We sometimes get banks to give our customers favorable terms.  This is it though unfortunately.

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @sundirtwater

Thanks Cheeves.

I don't understand why LVR would be different for a non resident, particularly if they can demonstrate equity and serviceability and also given that banks are starting to lend to weak borrowers all over again:

http://blogs.cfed.org/cfed_news_clips/2013/04/did-we-learn-anything-from-the.html

Participant
    @cheevesfinancial

It DOES exist.  Everything you say exists!!  But only for U.S citizens!  Not a foreigner

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @sundirtwater

Why only for US citizens? (I think you mean US residents right – US permanent residents should have access to the same financing right?). But I am asking what is the reason that banks will only give high LVRs and good rates to US citizens? You deal with the banks so hopefully you know their reasons?

Or can anyone else in the financial industry shed light?

Profile photo of Joel.MacdonaldJoel.Macdonald
    @joel.macdonald

Sundirt,

LVR is lower and interest rates are higher for foreigners due to the higher risk the lender would be exposed to. The foreigner would have no-recourse on that mortgage and no way for the bank to go after assets or funds if that foreigner defaulted on payments. 

You need to be dealing with 500K plus in assets to have any negotiating power with some of the larger banks and already have an established credit history / relationship with that global bank to be introduced to their "US branch"

Participant
    @sundirtwater

Thanks Joel.

However in the scenario mentioned above the lender would have recourse because property #1 is paid for in cash, owned free and clear and can be used as guarantee. If the borrower defaulted the bank can go after that asset right?

Participant
    @cheevesfinancial

SDW:  Do yourself a favor and just accept what I am telling you.  US CITIZEN…NOT US RESIDENT….NOT FOREIGNERS….NO NO NO….NO EXCEPTIONS.  Joel mentioned recourse.  It's called PERSONAL RECOURSE.  Your other property paid in full is not leverage with them.  This is my last response to this as you will just need to let it go.  NOT HAPPENING.  Write Obama and the US Treasury a letter.  Maybe they'll change for you. 

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @sundirtwater

Could someone a little less agitated and familiar with US lending help with my query? I don't want someone to tell me it can't be done. I want someone to tell me why it can't be done please.

Prelim. Cheeves says a US permanent resident is unable to obtain the same type of loans as a US citizen. I certainly find that hard to believe – anyone else confirm?

My real question is though why would a US property fully paid for in cash not be permitted to be considered suitable leverage for standard normal current finance (<5% fixed for 30yrs with 20% deposit) another US property? Does anyone know what the banks' reasoning is? I ask because it doesn't make sense to me. Lets say I sign over the title to them on the $100k property free and clear and their valuer tells the bank it could resell for $100k, why would that not be enough for a bank to lend me 80-85% LVR, especially given the current move for banks to resume lending to dodgy borrowers without collateral. The bank is not taking a risk because if I default on my payments they have the right to sell the asset. Seems straightforward to me.

ps what does SDW stand for?

Participant
    @cheevesfinancial

Ok, now I'm convinced you are either just pulling my leg or have been drinking….heavily..

But I'm baited to answer because it's kind of funny at this point.  SDW = SunDirtWater ….. 1 + 2 = 3. 

This doesn't make sense to you clearly because you aren't educated in finance or banking whatsoever.  To most on this forum who have knowledge, they will respond the way I am over and over and over again.  When I say that "banks don't have the appetite", that means that they just don't want to do it.  COULD they collateralize your property as equity or contribution?  Sure they COULD if they WANTED to, but they don't want to.  PERIOD.

You are a foreigner.  You stand absolutely zero chance with your arguments in the US, or any outside country you seek financing.  In fact, I have perfect credit, a portfolio of PERFORMING properties, and cash in the bank….AND I'm a U.S Citizen.. I cannot get 80% financing on commercial loans. 

SDW:  Are you pulling my leg??  Are you teasing me??  LOL…. You can't be this naive.  If you are, I have a bridge that I can sell you in Brooklyn.

Email Me | Phone Me

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.