All Topics / Overseas Deals / Recommendations for USA all-in-one property managers

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 61 total)
  • Profile photo of c-manc-man
    Participant
    @c-man

Hi,

I would love to have some recommendations from people currently having success in USA as to who I should use for my property investing?

Ideally for my circumstances I would like someone who does most of the work for me (setup company/bank/etc, buy the house, manage it and finance if possible).

This will be my first investment property and would like to try avoid the risks by gaining valuable contacts from people who are currently having success.

Thanks in advance for any information,
    C-MAN

Profile photo of Ziv Nakajima-MagenZiv Nakajima-Magen
    Participant
    @zmagen

From posts here it would seem that Alex Franks of carolinaliquidator.com does a darn decent job ;)

Best of luck to you!

Ziv Nakajima-Magen | Nippon Tradings International (NTI)
    http://www.nippontradings.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Ziv Nakajima-Magen - Partner & Executive Manager, Asia-Pacific @ NTI - Japan Real-Estate Investment Property

Profile photo of EngeloRumoraEngeloRumora
    Participant
    @engelorumora

Hi C-man,

Send an email to [email protected] I am happy to recommend my contacts that I have bought through. They do everything you have mentioned on behalf of the investor.

Regards,
    Engelo

EngeloRumora | Ohio Cashflow
    http://ohiocashflow.com/
    Email Me | Phone Me

F@#$ THE REST WORK WITH OHIO CASHFLOW TO INVEST

Profile photo of speedy gonzalesspeedy gonzales
    @speedy-gonzales

C MAN,

Have you identified any specific area's or cities that interest you to begin with ? You seem to be basing a decision on where to invest based upon which company could assist you ?? You are likely to get bombarded with the MyUSAProperty type companies with how your asking for assistance. Don't get me wrong….I believe that you can make some very successful investments in the USA provided you deal with the right companies and do your own due diligence. Some worthwhile contributors to this forum is Jay from True Wholesale Houses, Alex from Sth Carolina, Peter from Texas Cash Cow Investments, Emma from Select USA Property to name a few and all in differing markets. I would suggest you check them out to begin with. I have purchased from one of these sources and have been having no issues at all and am currently contemplating another investment with them but this time 25 multi-family units. Finance availability on this one is key for me and I am currently getting this sorted. Buying the lot means that I am getting them for approx $15,000 per unit below what they are selling them for individually.
    Send me a PM for details if you wish on my personal recommendations.

Profile photo of mihovimihovi
    @mihovi

Hi guys,
    I'm new on this forum; I just took a look around on different topics and got amazed by the multitude of miss-information or miss-direction of the  investors trying to enter into the US real estate market. I'll try to help as much as possible.
    First, let me introduce myself: my full first name is Ovidiu, but just call me Ovi, as it will be easier for you to remember it. Currently, I live in Vancouver, Canada since 2006., when I moved from the US where I lived between 1995-2006. I was on a work visa (H1-B) as a mechanical engineer and after that I worked in the construction industry. I couldn't get the Green Card in time and for this reason I moved to Canada. I have my own renovation company for almost 6 years (based on the experience gained in the US ) and I'm extremely familiar with the construction practices in the North American continent.
    I'm crazy about smart investing; I invest in metals (gold and silver) and real estate. It took me almost 8 month to learn how and, more important, WHERE to invest in the US, as EACH U.S. state/county/township/city has its OWN specifics! Keep this in mind and don't GENERALIZE! Also, I've seen in some other posts that people get sentimental about some properties: some love new ones, some love the areas, some like the neighborhoods,etc.,etc. Guys, as investors NEVER do your calculations based on what your heart tells you, GET A PENCIL AND A PIECE OF PAPER AND DO THE MATH. As I say all the time to my potential investors: "doesn't matter where the property is located; it can be a tent in the middle of Antarctica, or a shelter in a middle of Sahara, as long as it CONTINUOUSLY brings money and is a long term money making machine, that's a good investment ".
    I lived and worked in the U.S. on most of the Eastern cost and Midwest and I'm very familiar with the American mentalities, way of living, goals, expectations, quality of life, etc., which, again, are different from location to location.
    As an investor, the main focus has to be on the cash-flow, that's what everybody knows; in order to have a great cash-flow you have to consider the ratio price of acquisition/income first of all. As much of the income coming from rents is pretty close to an average in all the US states, the main factor influencing the cash-flow is the purchasing price. Secondly, other expenses such property taxes, management fees, HOA (Home Owner Association) fees, maintenance fees, insurance premiums are affecting the cash-flow, but in a minor manner.
    From the investor's point of view I want to present some so called traditional places for investment in the US and the DOWNS of investing in those areas:
        – Las Vegas, Nevada – low purchasing prices (advantage), but very high vacancy rate. The world's gambling capital move from Vegas to Macao 1-2 years ago. As the locals say "Vegas is a ghost city" now. Only the "Strip" area is somehow populated, the rest of the city is filled with Mexicans. I had good connections there and it was very obvious that investing in Vegas will be a mistake.
      -Florida – very few properties worth buying, as lots of Canadians did what Chinese people did in Vancouver in 1987: they damaged the local real estate market through acquiring properties at the ASKED prices, waaaay above the real price, due to a false comparison with Canadian market (extremely expensive compared to the US market – probable comparable with the Australian). Lots of residential rental subdivisions changed their profile, the landlords practically splitting them into smaller properties (condos-apartments) and selling them to prospective investors. Suddenly, most of this types of properties had no more management, no more security, no more maintenance crews, etc. and ALL the areas were invaded by low class people, drug-addicts, gangs, etc. One of the worst and full with criminality area in Florida is Kissimmee (Disney properties), together with Orlando. The purchasing price for a rental house is pretty low, but the cash flow is diminished by the high HOA fees + management fees.
     – Arizona – Phonies is a very nice area with low investor potential in my opinion. The good rental areas are Tempe (University area) where the rent is pretty small and the HOA fees are high. Add the management fee and you'll have a very small cash-flow.
      -North-Carolina  – economically stable, but the acquisition price is high and the cash-flow is small.
       When I say the cash-flow is small I compare all the above areas with the ONLY area worth investing in the US: MICHIGAN State, with the cherry on the cake: DETROIT.
     I've been in all the above mentioned states and tried to find good investing potential, but, believe me guys, all those areas gathered together don't have even 5% of the potential Detroit offers. Let me explain:
        – the acquisition price: extremely low when compared to the other cities. 90% of the houses in Detroit are SOLID BRICK and not wooden frame.
        – the rent is high and pretty much stable all over the city: around $850/month for a 3 bedroom house
        -extremely low vacancy rate : most of my renters are Section 8 tenants (welfare program with rent paid by the US Government).
    So far, the Section 8 tenant program has an almost 2 years backlog (there aren't enough houses compared with number of prospective tenants)
        -very low eviction rate, due to a simple fact: if a Section 8 tenant is evicted by the landlord, he/she won't ever get help from the Government. Anyways, most of the Section 8 renters are represented by single women with children. The Property Management company I'm using has a very tough screening process (that's why it takes up to 1 1/2 – 2 month to completely rent a house); in 14 years they didn't have to evict anyone – their vacancy rate is practically 0 !
        – very low bottom price; what is today $40K, was 150-200K only 3-4 years ago. Sooner or later the prices will bounce back – that an economical and financial law.
       – almost 0% maintenance reserve, due to the fact that all the properties are completely rehabbed before being rented out.
       – minimum cash-flow of 16%. For bulk purchases, the cash-flow can get up to 25%
        And many, many other reasons…
        In some other post, somebody who visited the US said that in the beginning was afraid of the black people. Man, he wasn't in Detroit for sure, where 98% of the population is black. But, as one of those guys once told me: "I live in Detroit and I'm not afraid to be here, but if I'll have to go to Toronto, I'll sure be very scared." You see, Detroit is a huge city (144 square miles – 3 cities as big as San Francisco can easily fit on that area), and only 3-5% of it is worth investing, and for this you have to know the city extremely well. Detroit is a block-by-block city and offers very nice opportunities for those willing to invest here. You don't have to be afraid of the criminality rate in Detroit or anywhere in the States – you are buying a property for investment purposes, not to move there. As long as you have high cash-flow from your business and are covered by the US laws you don't have to be afraid
    <moderator: delete advertising>
       Another guy, on another post here said: "There is no tax on capital gain in the US". Wrong ! If you keep the property less than 1 year and sell it the tax is 30%, if you sell it after more than 1 year is only 15% out of the profit. Also, if you don't intend to sell it and keep it just for rent, the tax is 10%. Anyways, there are legal ways to dodge the tax in your advantage. <moderator: delete advertising>

Profile photo of worldinvestorworldinvestor
    Participant
    @worldinvestor

I was hoping you would provide an overview on Atlanta?

Cheers, WI

Profile photo of aussieusaussieus
    Participant
    @aussieus

Hi Everyone,

I am seriously looking to invest in Las Vegas, can anyone share some thoughts, ideas, tips or information regarding this?
    Thank you all in advance for your replies.

Profile photo of nyc88nyc88
    Participant
    @nyc88

Hi Mihovi, you have written an interesting post. Like World Investor, I too would like to hear your views on Atlanta.

Any thoughts?

Profile photo of OrrinOrrin
    Participant
    @orrin

Aussieus,

Get in touch with Emma171… Check this forum.

http://www.selectusaproperty.com/

Best of luck…

Cheers,
    O

@mihovi

Atlanta is expensive. You can't get a property with 15-20% cash-flow due to the higher price on properties. Also, the vacancy rate is higher than Detroit's. In some very rare cases, you can get properties at almost the same prices as Detroit in Tennessee (Memphis and Nashville) and Indiana (Indianapolis, Kokomo and Fort Wayne), but it takes a lot of time to find them.
    In my case, I won't invest anywhere else than Michigan (Detroit). It is full with investors from Australia, New Zealand, Great Britain and Canada and everybody is doing good.
    I remember a seminar I attended last year organized in Vancouver by some investors like me, wanting to sell some properties in their portfolio. They sold 10 in one night ! Most of the buyers were Chinese. It was a guy in the attendance who started 2 years ago with one property and now he owns 42 properties in Detroit ! A small calculation is necessary: overall he paid $1.5 Million and with the cash flow from Detroit, let's say he was making only $650/month cash. Multiply this with 42 and you'll have almost $25k/month as income. With $1.5 Million in Vancouver you buy a small multi-family dwelling with 8-10 2 bedroom apartments, each of them having an average rent of $850/month. After expenses you get almost $650/month, but multiply 10 with 650 and you get 6.5k/month as income. Do the comparison. Plus the taxes in Canada are huge compared to the rest of the world.
    Also, a big plus for investors in Detroit is the big and continuous demand of Land Contract. As the majority of the population can't afford a mortgage, due to the financial hardship, the banks are not lending any money. So you, as landlords can act exactly as a bank and sell your property to whoever consider fit. The properties you buy with 35-40K can be sold on land contract with 45-55k pretty easy, because of the high demand. If you are interested in this, give me a shout and I'll explain more.

@mihovi

Aussieus, in my opinion you are making a mistake. Vegas is good if you need a vacation property for you and your family. I've got out from an auction in Vegas at $2000 (!) for a very nice property (Foreclosure, 2700 sq.ft, 3 bedroom, very clean, with almost nothing to renovate). Who you gonna' rent it to? People is fleeing out of Vegas, looking for some other locations with more economical potential. You want to find tenants 3-4 times/ year and pay the filling fee each time to the property management company? I doubt it.
    Also the cash on cash-flow is not very good in Vegas. The cheap properties are in North Las Vegas which is full of bad neighborhoods and nobody wants to move there, except for Mexicans maybe, who are NOT long term tenants. If you are looking to buy in a good area, the house will be around 60K, but the cash-flow will be to low in this case to even consider spending the money. Think as an investor: where are the most of the money to be made? Don't worry about how nice the location is or how cheap the property is compared to what was 3-5 years ago. In some cases the old prices won't come back and the properties won't appreciate to the old levels and in my opinion Las Vegas is a very good example. Don't make the mistake to listen to realtors!!! 99% of them don't know anything about investing, cash-flow and thing connected with this. They know only good and bad locations and that's pretty much all. They are fighting for their commissions. In 12 years in the US I didn't find even one good real estate agent-investor. I don't say that are not good , but I didn't come across any, so far. So, be careful. Take a piece of paper and a pen and do your math; how much do you want to invest, how much do you want to get out of your investment ?(the answer has to be: THE MOST).

Profile photo of Alex SCAlex SC
    Participant
    @alex-sc
    worldinvestor wrote:
    I was hoping you would provide an overview on Atlanta?

Cheers, WI

We just sold 4 of our 6 remaining properties in Atlanta higher then what I would have imagined. From a local buyer said he can not get anything. Then got a call from Agent in Atlanta for a short sale that went in Nov 11 . The bank just accepted  it oh 19k …

I do predict that Atlanta = Dallas in the next few months and possible years. I think the attractions is heading that way. As for my Charlotte I see now all Major USA resellers are here now.

I just don"t see the values every getting that low like they were in Atlanta . Man if they did I sure would be happy.

Hope all is well.

Profile photo of speedy gonzalesspeedy gonzales
    @speedy-gonzales

Hi Mihovi,

Name any other US city that has lost 200,000 people in 10 years. The loss of tax revenue when these people leave is having a huge economic effect to the point the state of Michigan is considering a takeover of the city of Detroit. The fire commissioner has a policy of letting unoccupied homes burn to the ground. The city has already razed 4000 homes in 2 years.

Profile photo of lawsjslawsjs
    Participant
    @lawsjs

Maybe you get a return selling your foreclosure to these guys:

http://redgreenandblue.org/2009/03/30/greening-foreclosures-buy-a-home-in-detroit-for-40-and-turn-it-into-a-green-urban-space/

One day it may be a nice place to live again – although I shouldn’t really comment as I haven’t been there*, however I saw a couple of fascinating docco’s on the re-greening of Detroit by bulldozing vast tracts of industrial and residential land and turning it into green space, mini farm plots community gardens and parkland.

I like to buy Australian bushland to ensure its protection from idiot supposed greenies and the complete morons at RFS, but helping create inner city parklands with unsaleable or unrentable property is a noble cause.

*I have been a witness to Gavin (ABC 730) trying to repair his ‘ready for tenant’ property in Detroit. Aside from the difficulty of finding tradesmen to renovate (it was deemed a waste of time) the investment he was sold by Andrew Allan as being personally chosen for its high rental demand is now boarded up to hopefully reduce its kerbside appeal to squatters.

I have made some big-gamble plays in RE, but I have learnt that whilst the ‘hope and pray’ strategy may pay off in time, it is not something I need to present and explain to my accountant or the ATO at the end of the year…

The Auto industry is doing better, but why would anyone want to take such crazy risks when it is totally unnecessary. 6% in a bank in Oz is an unheard of number for Gavins $65,000, that is STILL costing him a fortune without a single rent cheque.

Profile photo of jayhinrichsjayhinrichs
    Participant
    @jayhinrichs

Mihovi,

Nice sales pitch and your information could not be farther from the truth… or maybe your stretching it just a tad bit.

No one has zero vacancy and no Section 8 houses has zero maintenance,,, with those statements your credibility on this forum should just be sent to the round file…

The idea on this forum at least from my perspective is to put some reality into the Turn key and rental owning business.. And make no mistake its a business not a set it and forget it venture when an investor takes all the risk of ownership.

And to make statements that Detroit is the only place and  the other statements as I mentioned above well thats just not in the best interest of someone living half a world a way.. And thinking they will have those kinds of experinces.  If it was that easy the houses would never have gone down in value that much and everyone would be rich!!!

Why don't you expound on the benefits of Devils night and or the well oiled machine that is Wayne county :) 

I think the audiance on this site will pretty much disregard your statements.. At least I hope they take them with a grain of salt.

I did 200 plus deals in Detroit personally some good and some total nightmares… Its a tough and rough town.. And can be just downright dangerous…. for the uninitiated.

Participant
    @lawsjs

As usual: What Jay said:)

@mihovi
    speedy gonzales wrote:
    Hi Mihovi, Name any other US city that has lost 200,000 people in 10 years. The loss of tax revenue when these people leave is having a huge economic effect to the point the state of Michigan is considering a takeover of the city of Detroit. The fire commissioner has a policy of letting unoccupied homes burn to the ground. The city has already razed 4000 homes in 2 years. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Sh0eNznIFM

…And I don't see where your point is. Yes, the new Mayor Bing plans to level down another 300 houses in the next 5 years. What's wrong with that? How does this influence my investments? While some other so called "hot spots for foreign investors" strugle with high vacancy rates, Detroit is not beween them, for sure. It still has aroun 1 million houses for a 750 K population (more houses that people, as you see), but what counts is the number of LIVEABLE houses. Don't think that the City bulldozes the houses in good shape; NO, they get rid of all burned and extemelly bad shape properties, most of them in junk areas. I don't see how this affects me, as an investor, in a negative way. On contrary, it helps me to get more stable tenants and rapidly get the new properties filled up pretty fast. High competition at a rental level for prospective tenants means more stable and higher returns for investors! I'm sorry for all the guys who lost their properties (most of them on TAX foreclosures in the Detroit area), but this means better things for me as an investor. I'm not sentimental here at all, when it comes to making MONEY. Even if the whole city of Detroit looks like a war zone ("Beirut" zone as it's called by the locals), this doesn't bother me, as I don't live there and it's helping me to make more,safer and faster money than anywhere else in the US.
         Regarding the TAX MONEY: doing a small calculation we average 400 houses/year  taken out of the TAX circuit. That means an average 2k-2.5k for each house/year in property taxes. My friend, who is one the biggest wholsalers in Detroit sales around 150/year to investors. Another company has an average of 100 houses/year. So, the taxes taken from the investors and wholesalers are probably higher in amount than the taxes taken from the house owners. What is realy bad is that the City is so greedy (due to their misplacement of the funds-they never have enough-isn't this the case with all the Goverments? ) that they are practically inventing new ways of taxing the investors ! But this is another story as I see you are not someone who is interested to invest in Detroit, only to criticize the area…

Participant
    @jayhinrichs

Lawjs:,,

I am pretty sure I am the only one on the site that owns property in Kokomo Ind… I was there last week… its great little town 45 minutes N. of Indy…. Chrysler transmission plant and headquarters for Delphi,,,, GM's electronics. I closed a little flip there… bout it for 10 put 12 in it and sold it to a cash flow investor from LA for 31k… rents 600…. Rents can be spotty there though. I still have one left that I own there…

Its resurging with the rebound of the US government bail out of the Auto industry. But 5 years ago I lent on 12 homes and ended up owning 8 of them… Came out of them OK though.

And Indiana as a whole is a decent state  one of the only states in the US in the Black fiscally,,,, Same thing though have to pic your areas and your teams.

Selling the LLC ownership interest for the US purveyors is a way of getting around the Deed restrictions on flipping….

Takes a criminal mind to realize they can sell and LLC interest and not have any property actually owned the by the LLC… And a very trusting buyer…. Those are just criminal activities… We move investors in and our of our LLCs as a matter of course, However we always retain operational control and are the managing members.

For Instance Alex and I are going to do a few homes in his area in Charlotte in the TWH model… So Alex and I are the managing members of that LLC… We are the ones responsible for taking care of the investors… The Investor however will come in as the bank as always in our model.

My pet peave is really and has always been on this site,,, the sharing of information IE suppositions of Yeilds with no actuals to back them up… Your buying a property that has no rental history, whos to know what it will do… Some will do as advertised others will not. And 805 of them will do somewhere in between.. Most people do not know after 2 years really what there return is.. At least US investors I think you Aussies are much more annual about getting % returns down to a decimal point:).. Which Lawys leads me to the first time I flew my plane into Canadian Airspace and was talking to Vancouver center… I will send you a private e mail on a few of my follies with them… I got it down now… but first 3 or 4 times up there I violated some airspace or rules:)… Biggest one was being above 12k and not realizing you had to be IFR…… US its 18k.  And or Kelowna tower clearing me to the threshold… But not cleared to land… My buddy flying with me that day was a 35 year veteran of AA and he had not heard that one either… Any way back to real estate.

I had very interesting conversations last week with the CFO from Professionals REalty group in OZ… And the whole real estate business is far different than it is here….he went on to explain the nuts and bolts…. As a former Real Estate company owner with 100 agents I do know that end of it.

His comments were this.

In OZ

1. Agencies are small  5 to 15 agents per office.
    2. Agents are paid a salary  ( this never happens in the US)
    3. Property mangement is a huge part of the bizzness and very valuable to the OZ RE broker franchisee owner.

In the US.

1. Agencies if they are to be profitable and valuable for resale need hundreds of agents and if not thousands.
    2. No one EVER makes a Salary its well known you need a year put away to start in the bizz… Its why our industry here is dominated by Women,,, Many are married to successful husbands and they can afford the start up time it takes to make a living. It actually costs you money to start to be an agent, in the US.

I am going to digress a bit as I can't figure out how to cut and paste on this sight,,, however next paragraph relates to PM in the US> and how it relates to a Real Estate company.

3. Property management by and large is a seperate business from the RE brokerage activities.  Some Brokerages will get into it when commission income goes down.. And that is prevelent in say a Atlanta market where rentals are listed on the MLS… This never happens here in Portland… And even the leasing of property is simply a one time shot in Atlanta pay an agent for a tenant then hand it over to the companies that manage. This is why you will almost always have a letting fee in that market, because the property manager many times is not finding the tenant a real estate agent expecting a commission is.

4. Property management companies unless they are huge and running Multi family and commercial properties have no real value on the open market because its such a fractionalized business… managing single families.

Glyn in our conversation last week was talking about one of his franchisee's in Brisbane that just sold a 700 home rental book of business for 3.5 mil…. That would never happen  in the states, not a tenth of that. From what Glyn was saying is that landlords in OZ will own the same properties for years,,, rents always come in, maintenance is not as huge of issue… You just do not deal with the turn over and abuse of our 1000 a month and under properties.

I found it very interesting and he gave that talk infront of 100 US Turn Key guys….From all over the country.

PS… I am closing end of this month a 25 home subdivision deal in Oregon… And will be building it out, I was out with my banker yesterday and it will be the first construction land acquasition loan they have done in 4 years…. Lots were valued in the good ole days at 75k each we are buying them from a bank for 25k… And putting 50% down so the bank is loaning us a whopping 12.5k per lot…These on lots that cost 30k to build…. We will build smaller starter housing 1200 to 1600 sq ft. that cost us about 65 a foot to build turn key… Sell 149 to 179k… We will sell 2 to 3  a month… Man it feels so good to get back to business.

I am bringing an investor in on this deal because of my ability to borrow… IE we get 100% financing on the vertical…Cash out of pocket total will be 350k… And profit 1.2 or there abouts. So my partner investor will put in 150k and make 400k in 18 months.
    Now thats what I call a solid investment.

And when I talk about other LLC's that is what we are doing we are putting small groups of investors together and buying these type of opps… Whilst we continue to build our long term cash flow TWH model all through the country….

JLH

Participant
    @jayhinrichs

mihovi,

Your just really out there,,, 300 homes to be razed,,, what planet are you on…. Jesus,,,,,, 300 to 400 are burnt down every year on devils night…

The fact is Detroit has a surplus of over 10,000 SFR's and some say as high as 40,000, And this is from Banking industry sources that follow this data like Hawks Banks have lots billions in Detroit  ( of course other places as well).. Even the Hedge funds will not buy discounted paper in MI and OH.. there is a reason.

Yes you can make a living there and the locals can and do,, but you have to work it and work it hard and smart…

For someone in OZ to trust some company there in my mind is very risky,,,,

Remember OZ investors as you will see with my post above by and large invest for very long term… The fact is you and most of the other turn key guys will not be in business in 5 years… I know I lent to 20 to 30 of the top ones for 7 years and only 2 or 3 are still going … just the nature of the bizz….

OZ investor is way to smart to beleive this line of communications and I am shocked the modirators have let you hawk your company as you are….

I am the first to admit I am pretty opinionated about certain areas and have had to reign in my candid thoughts as I made an ass out of myself a few times.  Your doing it now my friend.

JLH

Participant
    @lawsjs

Jay – great post (response to me). You are one of the VERY few guys from the US that has taken the time to understand how nice and easy the Aus market is. TOTALLY different on almost any level imaginable. Gotta go, but thanks for the details….

My issue with the LLC model is not with professionals – it is with these quasi legal foreigners that have no business doing what they do. They cannot directly market property, so buying an LLC means it HAS to be a flip… You know the issues, it should be urgently addressed even if it is difficult. Foreign buyers must hold property 90 days in their own name or something??? I don’t know..

Thanks again Jay – I always learn a lot!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.