All Topics / Opinionated! / Bizare mining town FIFO article

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of itsandrewitsandrew
    Participant
    @itsandrew

Was surprised to come across this article about FIFO workers.  http://www.abc.net.au/local/audio/2012/03/29/3466693.htm?site=northwestwa  It must have been a slow news day.  The Order of Perpetual Indulgence looks pretty loopy to me. 

For those interested this seems to be the inquiry they are submitting to: "Inquiry into the use of ‘fly-in, fly-out’ (FIFO) workforce practices in regional Australia" http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/House_of_Representatives_Committees?url=/ra/fifodido/index.htm  There may be something of more relevance amongst these other submissions for investors.

itsandrew

Go as far as you can see and you will see further.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Inquiry being conducted by the Fed Govt into the effect FIFO work practices are having on 'society' in the local communities into which the FIFO's fly. The inquiry was in Pilbara last week and comments were made about the social effect of FIFOs, women feeling uncomfortable in these towns, break down of families, male domination of society, cost of housing and so on.

Nothing unexpected really. Be interesting to see what the final report looks like. 

Profile photo of itsandrewitsandrew
    Participant
    @itsandrew

As an interested observer I had never really thought about those things too much.  All I see on the forums is, rentals are scarce, yields are up, capital growth will follow etc. etc.  The only social comment I have seen has been a little on the impact on housing for locals ie, council planning, some long time renters are being squeezed out, and some owners are cashing out now there's been big captial growth. Other cost of living pressures.

I suppose it would have a big impact on civic life though with a stack of bored, lonely, male high income earners staying in town.

Having said that I haven't seen people on here complain about the quality and reliability of tenants.

itsandrew

@derek

Hi Andrew,

You're right – it is often the other side of the FIFO stuff that we don't always hear about. Mind you a couple of friends of mine who live in Hedland don't hold FIFO people in the highest of respect. By way of contrast my friends have made Hedland their home and joined in community organisations, give back, do the social stuff with long time family friends, look after the environment etc whereas their opinionis that many FIFOs take everything they can from the community without paying back.

As an aside Questus is building large numbers of NRAS properties in Karratha and Hedland. Initially I couldn't work out how this could be in a high income town and with NRAS income restrictions, but it would appear they are marketing many of the units to small business owners who have to pay a premium accommodation allowance on the wages so they can house their staff. I suspect the businesses are buying the NRAS properties in the company name and then on leasing the property to their employees in an effort to have a more stable workforce.

Profile photo of TodsterTodster
    @todster

Easy fixed put them on shorter rosters so they dont get sundays off in town
    Let them do 13 x12 hour shifts and send them home.
    Most do 4×1 on construction have most sunday off and only do 10hour shifts.
    Thats what the project managers want .
    Young blokes cashed up spare time BINGO
    You see short swing are an acommadation nightmare to camps,blokes like to keep rooms but there empty to long.
    Most FIFO drama is construction/shutdown i’m on 8×6 roster stay in the camp maybe a few beers in town but very rarely go out besides the airport as for taking from the community can you run me through that.
    You really need to check out some of the “locals” too .

@derek

Hi Todd,

'Taking from the community' really relates to the lack of return the community gets from FIFOs.

I understand fully the FIFO nature of rosters etc does have a huge impact on a persons ability to give back to local sporting, social and community groups through involvement in such organisations. On top of this there is ample evidence to show the FIFO dollars earned are not spent in the town in which they are earned thus leading some local business to struggle, especially when this is combined with high costs of operating a business in mining related communities – this was a common point raised in the enquiry.

Some people fondly recall pre-FIFO days when these communities grew as family towns and people happily raised their families in remote and distant localities because of the friendly nature of the towns. 

Know what you say about some of the locals too.

Profile photo of itsandrewitsandrew
    Participant
    @itsandrew

Is there a limit to the percentage of employees being FIFO?  I recall reading that somewhere.

itsandrew

@derek

Not that I am aware of – might have been in the past.

While a lot of my comments may seem to be anti-FIFO the concept has obviously worked for many mining companies and also for many of the FIFO workers.

My understanding is the FIFO concept originally came into being after the introduction of the fringe benefits tax regime. Once all of the numbers were put into the mixer companies found it more cost effective to FIFO their workers rather than set up whole towns, offer significant housing incentives, put in infrastructure etc.

While FIFO was more common for camp type mining in more isolated locations it has now extended into major regional towns such as Hedland, Karratha and Newman which are all sizeable towns in their own right.

Profile photo of TodsterTodster
    @todster

Some people lose sight of why these places are developed in the first place.
    Pluto has fired up so Karrachi should settle down a bit.
    Point Samson is in for a hammering with the big expansion at the Cape.
    I think it’s about 50% truth and about 50% jealousy.
    At least they see their family daily,the best ones go FIFO then rent their PPOR for big $$$$,you dont hear them moaning.

Profile photo of wezwazwezwaz
    Participant
    @wezwaz

Sometimes I tend to think the mining lifestyle is glamorised a bit with all the media coverage. Let me give you a bit more perspective on a FIFO lifestyle, from someone who is living it.

There is nothing glamorous about a FIFO lifestyle, especially in the Pilbara of WA. The only glamor is in your pay packet. That's it.

It is stinking hot in the summer (40°C+), cold (inland, not the coast) in the winter on night shift, flies are rampant in the summer, dust bad enough to have to wear safety glasses all the time and usually irritating dust masks as well. Everything is so dirty in comparison to the city. There are different rosters, but it's mostly 14 x 12 hour days. Do your sums and you can see we average a 56 hour week. You don't get a break in the middle of the roster, except for a minibreak switching from day to night shift. You live in one room for those two weeks and you can't whip down to Maccas, go to the cinema, go shopping or attend a concert. The general conversation is crude with rampant swearing everyday speech. I'm single, but apparently FIFO and marriage is a difficult mix. If you are married and can see yourself living away from your partner for two thirds of your life, then it could work.

If you can stomach those conditions, then you are a candidate for FIFO.

Wes.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.