All Topics / Help Needed! / Rooming House South Australia

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of Need Help PleaseNeed Help Please
    @need-help-please

Can anyone give me detailed information about the requirements of operating a rooming house in SA ?

If operating under Rooming House Agreements do you have to register with the council ?
    How many people can occupy the house under Rooming House Agreements before you need to register the house ?

How difficult is it to change a garage convert which has current non habitable classification, to something that can reclassified as habitable and be used for room rental. (ie currently have a studio/ granny flat, with bathroom and kitchen, but is non habitable status with council presently and would love to be able to legally us it).

How hard and expensive is it to get insurance for the house if you have rooming house agreement people, not leasing house as normal lease ?

Does a rooming house have to operate as a registered business and if so what is involved ?

My idea was to try and make an investment house cash neutral by this concept, but i really need to get a lot of quality information from anyone who is operating one, to know what is best to do.

I would appreciate anyones feedback very much. Thank you for your time.

Profile photo of basbogbasbog
    Participant
    @basbog

Hi

I run this type of accommodation in Adelaide, would rather talk then type, so PM me and happy to help will all your questions

Barry

Profile photo of davmeljjdavmeljj
    Participant
    @davmeljj

3 years later and I am just about to embark on the same journey as you. Hopefully you received some wise advice in response to your enquiry. Would you mind answering the same questions for me? I am satisfied that all is clear with the council. My main hurdle at the moment is the insurance coverage. I currently have several whole of house (i.e. regular) rentals in place but this style of multi tenancy arrangements has my insurance broker thrown. Any tips? Any other info from someone who has been there done that would be appreciated. Whilst I am all for having a go and am going into this well aware of many of the potential hurdles and amount of work it will involve at this point feel that the rewards should be worth it. Anyone have a different view? I am looking to set up a 4 or 5 room student share house with all utilities (capped electricity) included.

Mel

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.