All Topics / Overseas Deals / MIAMI (ad)VICE

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 395 total)
  • Profile photo of British BuyerBritish Buyer
    Participant
    @british-buyer

TO GUILLOTEMI AND MINIMAN (JASON)

(I'm writing this from a Shanghai Airport hotel room, where I'm overnighting before my early morning flight to Miami via Detroit).

It seems like we're all on the same page, going by gut feel as opposed to following the herd.

I'm not sure if you know, but the Holy Grail of housing statistics just came out: the Case-Shiller Index (always comes out on the last Tuesday of every month).

At first it sounds depressing (or at least that's how the journalists spin the story).  In a nut-shell, there is as yet NO SIGN OF A HEARTBEAT in the US housing market.  It's still declining, although at a very slow rate.  One could say that it's "bouncing along the bottom".  The big question is, for how much longer will it bounce for?

One can read this as a bad sign (ie. it may not improve for ages, or may drop much further) or as a good sign (now we all have more time to get our finances in order and build up bigger portfolios before it starts rising). 

But these are my own thoughts entirely, so check out the stats for yourself after reading the article:
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-10-26/home-prices-in-20-u-s-cities-rose-less-than-forecast-case-shiller-says.html

S&P/Case-Shiller Table

============================================================
                   1-months 3-months  1-year  2-years  3-years
                   earlier  earlier  earlier  earlier  earlier
    US Composite-20  -0.21%    1.45%    1.70%   -9.75%  -24.72%

Detroit           0.52%    4.68%   -0.07%  -22.61%  -35.89%
    Chicago           0.42%    3.94%   -2.95%  -15.23%  -23.57%
    Washington DC     0.26%    3.08%    4.84%   -3.03%  -18.22%
    New York          0.17%    2.81%    0.08%   -9.41%  -15.40%
    Las Vegas         0.12%   -1.29%   -4.49%  -33.06%  -53.41%
    Denver           -0.12%    0.26%   -1.15%   -3.06%   -7.98%
    Miami            -0.28%    0.78%   -0.97%  -19.63%  -42.23%
    San Francisco    -0.28%    0.47%    7.82%   -5.67%  -31.38%
    Cleveland        -0.29%    1.09%   -0.39%   -3.20%   -9.60%
    Minneapolis      -0.29%    3.09%    2.89%  -11.00%  -23.16%
    Boston           -0.30%    1.54%    1.55%   -2.69%   -7.31%
    Charlotte        -0.37%    0.18%   -3.41%  -11.73%  -14.19%
    Los Angeles      -0.41%    0.50%    5.36%   -7.20%  -31.98%
    Tampa            -0.51%   -0.55%   -4.11%  -21.10%  -35.41%
    San Diego        -0.62%    0.54%    6.95%   -2.52%  -27.67%
    Seattle          -0.75%   -0.61%   -2.41%  -16.73%  -24.05%
    Atlanta          -0.85%    1.13%   -1.96%  -12.25%  -20.05%
    Portland         -0.88%   -0.65%   -2.29%  -14.49%  -20.96%
    Dallas           -1.13%   -0.47%   -1.72%   -2.93%   -5.46%
    Phoenix          -1.32%   -1.95%    0.40%  -24.85%  -47.89%

I've underlined Miami, showing that it has dropped the third most (after Las Vegas and Phoenix), a whopping 42% in the last 3 years.  Note that the whole crash took place between 3 years ago and 1 year ago, and in the last year it's just gone sideways.

Looks like the bottom to me.

Profile photo of British BuyerBritish Buyer
    Participant
    @british-buyer
    jeff2tract wrote:
    British buyer, Were did you get the idea that a tenant can with hold rent, you would have a management company that would be renting the property out, no tenant would have the right to withhold rent. I would consider that breaking the lease. How would the tenant know that you were an overseas investor I own a number of properties here in Australia and just settled on one in the USA, the management company will deposit the rent on a monthly basis You need to speak with a US tax accountant I have spoken to 2 tax accountants here on setting up an LLC and no one has said the things you are saying….perhaps because you will be borrowing money…..most of the people that I am dealing with are cashed up. If you lived here in Australia I could put you in touch with a couple of very switched on Tax guys…. Jeff

HI JEFF

I'm sure I read it on the IRS website.  I don't have time to look it up right now, but as far as I know that's the law.  Having said that, you are absolutely correct that you do not need to let your tenant know you are a foreigner, so they wouldn't be able to withhold.  But when you file your tax returns…? 

Profile photo of guillotemlguilloteml
    @guilloteml

Don´t know if this is the bottom line, my feeling and the recent foreclosure fiasco tell me this is going to keep going down for at least a year.
    That is good, for us, we have some time to build credit and get some good deals before the magic moment (hopefully this century)

@guilloteml
    Profile photo of latormorlatormor
    @latormor

This event is happening in Australia soon

http://knowledgesource.com.au/cashflowusa/

I hope it might be helpful, I'll attend to see what they say.

Cheers

Alex

Profile photo of speedy gonzalesspeedy gonzales
    @speedy-gonzales

Suggest that anybody interested in the above seminar first of all google "Dymphna Boholt" and then make up their own mind

Profile photo of latormorlatormor
    @latormor

Hi Seepy Gonzalez !

How are you? I am relatively new in Australia, I find Dymphna Boholt website interesting and the seminar as well. Do you have the same opinion?

Profile photo of US BoundUS Bound
    @us-bound

Hi Miniman

Are you able to help me-I know I sound really green but

I am Australian and want to go the LA to buy a home, for me to live in.
    My questions are:?
    1. I can travel to US w/out a visa & stay up to 90 days and as long as I fly out when 90 days are up. As money is not a problem, I can literally fly back within 48 hours to start all over (it is a 12 hour trip each way).?
    2. If I can prove I don’t need to work – show them my funds – are there any restrictions to the to time one can spend in the US?? Because if I fly over 3 times that almost 9 months that I am there. I am prepare to pay US tax if that tax implications come – although I as I would just be living there don’t know WHY they can tax me.
    3. Somewhere in the back of my mind – 6mths seem to come up for Brits and Canadians. My hope to stay until I meet the man I want to marry. I have read blogs where retirees from the UK can buy homes in the US but only allowed to stay for 6 months. I reiterate I AM ABLE AND HAPPY TO PAY US TAXES so can you see any other problems for me?
    4. HOW do I get my money to the US? – I will be ABLE TO PROVE it is not ill gotten gains or money laundering. Do I send it over in a BANK DRAFT or OVERSEAS TELEGRAPHIC TRANSFER
    5. Importantly – I want to send over about 3m – is this a problem? What is the maximum amount I can send out of the country?
    6. As an Aussie am I allowed to open a bank acc in the US WHILE I am in Australia? Because UNTIL I have purchased my house, I won’t have a US address other than the hotel where I would be staying. Or should I go to Citibank in Sydney and try to open an account in Los Angeles??
    7. In the US does one have put a deposit in an US Law Firm to hold until settlement (as is required here in Australia)?
    8. Settlement – if one’s funds are in place, HOW LONG does it take for a purchase to be fully settled? Trying to figure how long I will have to stay in a hotel before I can move in.
    9. LASTLY, as it will be my home do I need an LLC? I note that most celebrities in Los Angeles buy their own home through a Trust.
    Will truly ppreciate any advice or knowledge you can provide me.

Participant
    @british-buyer

Hi from Miami

I arrived very early yesterday morning (my flight was delayed in New York).

Some things I learnt on the trip: if you come from a country that has a visa waiver with the US, you must go online before coming, and apply for permission.  My travel agent didn't tell me this, so I spent an extra hour in immigration in New York filling in forms.

To rent a cheap car in Miami, use Kayak to compare all car companies.  When you get off the airplane, you catch a free Car Rental Bus to the car rental centre about 5 minutes from the airport.  It's an enormous 4 story building, the same size as the airport.  All the expensive car rental companies have their offices inside this building.  The cheaper companies are in the streets surrounding the building.  So if you've booked a car on Kayak, call them when you arrive at the building, and they'll come and fetch you.

Beware, because the cheap rental companies will then try to talk you out of your cheap deal that you booked on Kayak.  I booked a Kia for $675 (through Advantage), but then they wanted to deduct $1500 from my credit card.  I only noticed this when given a form to sign.  What they'd done is thrown in an extra $25 per day for extra insurance.  I told them I was fine with the minimum insurance required, and they eventually agreed to give me the car for the original price of $675 for the month.

I then drove from Miami airport to Wallmart (near the airport) and had an amazing McDonalds breakfast for $3 (amazing to me because I live on an island in China where there isn't McD's) and bought a cell phone for $15 without any airtime, and then bought 310 minutes of airtime for $20.  Not a bad deal, I reckon.  Cheaper even than China. 

From Wallmart I drove back past the airport, through downtown Miami, and onto the causeway going to the island where South Beach is.  My impressions: Miami city downtown (from the highway) looks rich, beautiful, and modern.  Lovely glass skyscrapers make for an impressive skyline.  The causeway gives you a view of lots of multi-million dollar playboy waterside mansions with yachts parked outside.  The cars on the road are often soft-top Ferraris, Mercedes etc.

I have rented a one-bedroom apartment for a month, one block from South Beach.  This beach is stunning: the color of the sand, the cleanliness of the water, the infrastructure, all give off a taste of international elegance.  The streets are teeming with rich tourists, international models, body builders etc.  Amazing (but expensive) restaurants are everywhere.  In a nutshell, I like it here, though I reckon property near this beach must be very expensive.

Yesterday afternoon I opened a Bank of America account.  It was easy, and immediate. I opened a Preferred Customer Savings account, plus a checking account, since there are no fees for most of the kinds of transactions I shall be doing.  The advantage of renting an apartment for a month is that you have a US address.  The reason you need an address is because they need to send you your check book and debit card after 10 days, unlike in China where they'd issue it in person on the spot.

I immediately sent my account number to my accountant so that she can start wiring money, which will take a week to arrive.

That was yesterday.  This morning I had an amazing 2km swim before daybreak (it was so nice in the water, surrounded by fish, with seagulls and pelicans overhead, that I swam much futher than I usually do).  Now it's time to start thinking about getting financing, seeing property etc.

Participant
    @british-buyer

I want to add one more observation/warning.

It's been tough at times.  Right now I'm in high spirits, because the weather is great, I'm near the beach, I'm in a nice area.

But there have been times on this trip that I've been feeling particularly low.  Firstly, the flight was very long.  I had to catch 4 different planes, with a stopover in Shanghai for the night.  And it's nearly broken my heart being away from my 2 year-old son, since he's old enough to really feel my absence, yet not old enough to understand why I'm gone.  I just had my first Skype interaction with him, which was nice, but nothing like a good hug.

I was particularly down in spirits in New York, because I got hassled a lot by immigration for not applying for a visa waiver online prior to coming.  I just wanted to tell the idiotic NY gun-toting immigration bone-heads to F-off, but luckily I held my tongue.

Then my plane to Miami was cancelled due to bad weather, so I spent ages waiting for another flight.  This meant that I arrived at Miami airport very late (2am).  Everything was closed (my car rental company, cell phone shops etc.) so all I could do was sit up all night reading, waiting for daybreak.

A second low was in Wallmart after buying my cell phone.  I went through the activation steps, but it didn't get activated for 2 hours, which was really annoying because I needed it to call several numbers I had for landlords on South Beach.  As I had no phone I had to use a public phone booth outside in the rain.  I had collected 5 numbers of landlords whose apartments I wanted to see, but the first 3 I called turned out to be liars: either it wasn't available anymore, or it was twice the advertised price, or there wasn't any parking.

So by mid-day yesterday I was VERY DOWN.  But then everything came together.  My phone got activated, I found a landlady who wasn't lying (although she was the last person on my list to call because her ad stated clearly there wasn't any parking, but luckily when I came here to check out the place she told me I can rent a private spot for $100, which I was very happy to pay considering how tight parking is here in South Beach).

Anyway, here's the warning.  If you want to go to the US to buy property on your own, be prepared for the harshness of travel that always comes when you're not on a package tour.  I am a traveller by nature, so I'm up for it.  If you're not sure about yourself, do better planning than I did. 

Profile photo of AusVietGuyAusVietGuy
    Participant
    @ausvietguy

Hi

Nice to share your exprience with us, hope you have great time..

Zung

Participant
    @british-buyer

Today I met with a third bank willing to lend to foreigners.  I should explain that I found all of these banks prior to coming to Miami, all through doing internet searches (not Googling, but reading extensively on forums of various property sites, and chasing up clues).

So I believe that finding lenders in Miami isn't overly difficult, especially because Miami is such an international city.  In fact, all these lenders seem to have set up their foreign lender programs due to so many Brazilians, Venezualians etc. wanting to buy in Miami, not because of Aussies and Brits.

These lenders all have established Foreign Lender Programs, meaning that they've got specific people in their banks dealing only with loans to foreigners, and they have tons of documents which they send to you with all the info.

The minimum they are willing to lend on is a single family home purchased for $145K.  This means you must have 44K for downpayment  (30% of 145), and then about another 5K for closing costs = 49K, plus about 8K in cash as proof of ability to service your loan, so total required is about 57K (although the 8K only needs to be shown once, and can then be used for other purposes).

The estate agent I met with today assures me he can find nice single family homes for about 150K, in good areas with tenants willing and able to rent for $1,500 to 2,000 per month.

Profile photo of spritecatspritecat
    @spritecat

Hi Steve,

I have been reading your posts and found them quite interesting.
    I too profited from the ever-rising Real estate market in SH and now I’m looking to shift some investments to US as the entry cost in either Aus or SH is too high, ESP in Aus positive cash flow is pretty much unheard of these days, and in the latter policy plays a imp part and it’s associated with uncertainly.

I’m looking to go to US in a few months time and gather some first hand info, I too have a 2 yr old which makes planning the trip a bit harder.My choices are the southern states like Florida, Arizona, maybe California, where there’s nice weather and tourist attraction such as the beach.. I’d be interested to find out how your trip to Miami goes and your opinion of Miami.

I am still unsure whether to look at property that are priced at the low end of scale or more premium ones. The return works out to be better on the cheaper ones but I’m not sure of future outlook or volatility on them, and if I hold many of them there might be management issues. On the other hand i can put all my money on one property, the return is less but it’s easier to for me to manage. I’m interested to know what are ur thoughts on this.

I noticed that you mentioned drawing $ out of Mainland could be a difficulty. PM me if u would like to know my way of doing it.

Well, keep us posted of any news from Miami.

Take care.

@guilloteml

Steve,
    I´m in Santiago airport right now, making a connection, after a 10 hour drive from San Martin de los Andes to Mendoza.
    I´ll be arriving tomorrow to Miami and I´ll be staying in the Circa 39 hotel, maybe we can share a coffe at Starbucks and discuss strategies.
    I have a question: why Bank of America and not HSBC that has brances all over the world? where did you buy your phone and airtime? I was thinking METROPCS because they include unlimited international long distance for 10 bucks additional and it´s good to be in touch with the loved ones….
    well, got a plane to catch, write me some lines…

Participant
    @british-buyer
    spritecat wrote:
    Hi Steve, I have been reading your posts and found them quite interesting. I too profited from the ever-rising Real estate market in SH and now I'm looking to shift some investments to US as the entry cost in either Aus or SH is too high, ESP in Aus positive cash flow is pretty much unheard of these days, and in the latter policy plays a imp part and it's associated with uncertainly. I'm looking to go to US in a few months time and gather some first hand info, I too have a 2 yr old which makes planning the trip a bit harder.My choices are the southern states like Florida, Arizona, maybe California, where there's nice weather and tourist attraction such as the beach.. I'd be interested to find out how your trip to Miami goes and your opinion of Miami. I am still unsure whether to look at property that are priced at the low end of scale or more premium ones. The return works out to be better on the cheaper ones but I'm not sure of future outlook or volatility on them, and if I hold many of them there might be management issues. On the other hand i can put all my money on one property, the return is less but it's easier to for me to manage. I'm interested to know what are ur thoughts on this. I noticed that you mentioned drawing $ out of Mainland could be a difficulty. PM me if u would like to know my way of doing it. Well, keep us posted of any news from Miami. Take care.

Hi Spritecat

It's my 4th day in Miami, and I'm loving it.  It is a hundred times nicer than I'd expected.  I'm staying on South Beach, which is a very mellow paradise, teeming with beautiful people in their beautiful cars, but there's also a hippy/traveller/hobo element just to add a bit of variation.

This place is somewhere I'm going to be very happy to own a home or condo in, whether it appreciates in price or not, and whether I get a good rental return or not.

Sadly, it's the weekend, and people in Miami take their leisure seriously, so I haven't been able to visit lenders or even see properties these past 2 days.  But I'm spending my time driving around, and the more I see the happier I am.

I really like this whole stretch of island from South Beach up to Surfside/Bal Harbour.  It's all rich, touristy, with bridges spanning beautiful stretches of water, and parks along the uninterrupted beach. 

I should add 2 interesting observations about this "island" that sits east of Miami downtown:

1. seems to be crime-free, probably due to it being a tourist mecca, but also because criminals would be wary of coming here as they wouldn't be able to escape easily since there are only 3 bridges back to the mainland

2. the spoken language is Spanish more than English.  I often make the mistake of trying to communicate with people (even blonde haired blue-eyed ones like myself) to be politely told that they can't speak English.  This doesn't worry me from an investing point of view, since these are all wealthy South Americans of European descent, and I feel that it adds an exotic element to the place.

I'm now really divided between buying a single-family home (I like the idea of the privacy, plus no HOA fees) or a condo, since condo prices have been beaten down for 2 important reasons:

A. there was too much overbuilding in the boom years, and many condos only came on the market after the crash, which has meant they've struggled to find buyers, which in turn sometimes led to bankruptcy of the builder, giving the whole condo market a bad name

B. because of the aforementioned bad name given to condos since the crash, banks won't lend to buyers of condos.  That's why you always hear: Cash Is King!.  Because buyers must pay cash, and since most US citizens have no money, there just aren't many buyers, so the prices have crashed.

Having said that, there are still banks who'll lend on condos, but they want 30% down (for foreigners) and they are picky on which condos they'll lend on.  So most foreign buyers are just paying cash, thereby getting a better bargain, and then trying to get a mortgage afterwards.

The condo prices I've seen advertised on Trulia are very cheap compared to China (about 25% of Sanya on Hainan Island).  It now remains to be seen whether the prices advertised on Trulia are for real, or whether these estate agent sharks just write fantasy numbers to attract your attention.

cheers
    Steven

Participant
    @british-buyer
    guilloteml wrote:
    Steve, I´m in Santiago airport right now, making a connection, after a 10 hour drive from San Martin de los Andes to Mendoza. I´ll be arriving tomorrow to Miami and I´ll be staying in the Circa 39 hotel, maybe we can share a coffe at Starbucks and discuss strategies. I have a question: why Bank of America and not HSBC that has brances all over the world? where did you buy your phone and airtime? I was thinking METROPCS because they include unlimited international long distance for 10 bucks additional and it´s good to be in touch with the loved ones…. well, got a plane to catch, write me some lines…

Hi Guillotemi

I chose BOA because the branch is outside the apartment I'm renting.  I will be going to see HSBC tomorrow to discuss their loans for foreigners, and if it looks promising I'll open an account with them too.

I just bought a Net 10 for $15, plus 310 minutes airtime for $20.  I see in the manual that you can also call internationally, but they don't say the price.  Beware with pay as you go (at least Net 10) that you're also charged for receiving calls, just the same as making calls.  Luckily where I'm staying I can make calls from the landline for free, otherwise my airtime would be finished already.  In the last 4 days my airtime has gone down from 310 to 260, so I guess that's only about $4.  Not bad.

I think you're gonna love Miami.  Sure, we should have a coffee (tea for me, I'm British).

@spritecat
    British Buyer wrote:

I'm now really divided between buying a single-family home (I like the idea of the privacy, plus no HOA fees) or a condo, since condo prices have been beaten down

Hi Steven,

My opinion is that if I am going to travel there quite frequently, or live there for parts of the year, I’m going for SFR, if I’m not going to go there at all, I’ll choose good quality Apt/Condos (sort of buy-and-forget). I’m not sure of your investment strategy, whether you are chasing +ve CF or Capitals gain. I think holding land in a land-scarce area would provide more CG potential than otherwise. Although depreciation on buildings exist on all property types, the downside of SFR is the maintainence issue, and of course it’s related to property management as well. Apartment/Condo might be easier to maintain, but HOA hits hard and I’ve read somewhere that some HOA’s are going bankrupt, so there’s uncertainty too. It depends on whether it’s going to your own future residence or purely for investment. I’m struggling to make a decision between the two types too.

Since you are now on the ground, what is your opinion on the property market outlook for Miami? Still pretty depressed or do you perceive signs of light (potential CG?)?

I’m currently looking at Las Vegas at the same time, obviously the vacancy rate on the SFRs in LV is extremely low. You did mention you researched LV as it had the one of the biggest market crashes, what was your reason to prefer Miami over LV?

Kate

Profile photo of jeff2tractjeff2tract
    @jeff2tract

Hi British Buyer,

You need to be carful re HOA, I remember when I was looking into Florida property, I has a real estate agent based in Orlando that was concerned some of the HOA associations were going bankrupt with no funds in there accounts to do any repairs on the condo’s. I can only advise you to do some serious research on any condo’s that you maybe thinking of.I would advise you to stick to single family homes.

I have read some terrible figures re vacancy rates in Florida, what have you found out about that.

I attended a property investment show in Sydney on the weekend and there was a company there selling lots of Florida properties, with very good ROI.

Still I am skeptical on Florida…good luck

Jeff

@spritecat

Hi Jeff, Do you mind sharing which parts of USA are you investing in? Thx, Kate

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Has anyone out used a buyers agent (or whatever the U.S. equivalent is) to purchase U.S. property?  I suspect it would be more cost efficient for me to pay for such a service than to fork out for airfares, time hunting for property etc myself.  I'd love to hear if anyone has some feedback!

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 395 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.