All Topics / Value Adding / Restumping and leveling a renovated home

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of tgavin71tgavin71
    @tgavin71

I am looking at buying a house in Ipswich Qld that has been fully renovated in the last two years. The building inspector has recommended that the house be restumped as there is a lot of packing on the piers where the house has moved over time. What would be the approximate cost of restumping a small 3 bedroom weatherboard house. What affects could doing this have on the interior of the house? We also need to get the house leveled. Does restumping do this? Or it is a different thing entirely?

Profile photo of PC_MelbournePC_Melbourne
    @pc_melbourne

Hey There,

My Neighbor just restumped thier entire 3 bedroom house for a grand total of $6200
    I have no idea if this good, but I would err on the side that this is an awesome price based on the fact that I hunted for a tradie to restump just my water damaged bathroom. Of 3 official quotes the lowest price I got wuz $6000 (seriously water damaged though)

I ended up using my neighbors restumping chap and it cost $1000.

Very happy with the end result.

I would say keep getting quotes and negotiating until you get equal to or lower than that amount.

Profile photo of zeablezeable
    @zeable

Hey,
    I had a quote for $5000 for restumping my house, then I'd asked my tradie friend who works with restumping people and said it is a waste of money, "you could do it yourself for less than $500!". So I got down and dirty, crawled under my house…

he used one of those water ruler thing to check where the house is slanting (bubble needs to be in the center of the green field)… he then told me to dig pot holes about 1 metre deep, half a metre wide with a handheld shovel under the house beams(pretty much anywhere the house is sinking). Then we went to bunnings and bought the cement stumps @ $12 each and premix cement bags $10 per bag… first we fill the pot hole with about 3 inches deep in the premix cement, pour abit of water… wait 10mins… then pop the stump in and fill up with cement and water… wait 2 days.. and use a car jack to lift the beam and run up the house and check if it is even… then head back down and fill the gab between the beam and stump with cement sheet / timber pieces… repeat on all the spots…

it was easy and fun process… no need to fork out $5000 for this easy job!

Profile photo of beediebeedie
    Participant
    @beedie

<font color=”#000000″>Personally, I would use this as a negotiating tool calculating the costs involved in any offer you make.</font> <p style=”margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt” class=”MsoNormal”><font color=”#000000″>But then again I don’t know the mythology or strategy you embarking on in acquiring this property (Buy & hold?) and if the costs and when you planning to incur these costs fits with your strategy.Structural costs like this don’t add much value on resale as a rule of thumb   </font>
    <font color=”#000000″>With the older Queenslanders you could expect some movement /cracking  in the VJs etc depending on how much levelling is required.</font><font color=”#000000″><p style=”margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt” class=”MsoNormal”>Probably raised more questions then I answered…lol. sorry..
    </font>

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.