All Topics / Commercial Property / Motel Investment

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 210 total)
  • Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Crests figures are about right however i think you would get a slightly higher lvr on the motel security itself.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

The motel industry market is busy again, buyers are actively seeking properties.
    That should make finance a little easier to get.

We are engaged with one prospective buyer of our motel property who has placed a deposit,
    awaiting contracts and agreement on side issues.
    Other prospective buyers are also vying for the motel property so we are feeling confident of a sale.
    (Yeah like whistling through the graveyard)

For us it's the culmination of nearly 10 years of hard work. 

Now that we know how to do it easier, we will.

Just thought I'd like to add an update for those who have interest(s) in this area of investment.

Cheers
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

Good luck i'll keep my fingers crossed for you … good time to sell when there are buyers … I know the industry well … take care …

Participant
    @thecrest

Tks W4L
    appreciate it. 
    cheers
    thecrest

Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of ljfzzljfzz
    @ljfzz

Hello thecrest, I am new to this site and have never been on a discussion forum before so I hope I'm able to successfully communicate back and forward. I was attracted to join the site afetr reading comments on motel investing which is of interest to me as I am currently trying to source our first investment motel and on a steep learing curve. I would be happy to receive further advice from you or others with respect to this.
    Thanks
    LJFZZ

Participant
    @thecrest

Hi LJFZZ
    If you can add some basic details it might help me and others to focus and be more helpful.
    What aspect of motel investment are you interested in ? i.e. freehold, lease, passive investment.
    Do you want to operate the motel yourself or not?
    What geographical area interests you?
    What price bracket ?
    What type of motel – restaurant? stars? market?
    It's OK if you don't have all the answers, but what you do have will help.
    Very happy to help you, as are others on this forum which is what it's all about.
    Cheers
    thecrest

Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

@ljfzz

Thanks for the reply. We are specifically searching for a passive investment freehold and are advised that 9-10% ROI is the current expectation. Our financier has determined the level we need to work within is 1.4m – 1.6m based on a 65% lend which is their maximum these days due to GFC. Hoping for high quality, modern facility in major regional Victorian (or southern NSW)location such as Shepparton, Ballarat, Bendigo, Albury, Wagga Ect however happy to receive advice on other appropriate locations. Wanting to provide a safe secure long term (15yrs or so) investment to see us through to retirement.
    Hope that's enough info to get us started.
    Regards LJFZZ

Participant
    @thecrest

Sounds good so far.
    Lenders are slightly easier to deal with now GFC wise on motel investment in regional areas like Albury & Wagga.
    Don't know the Vic towns well enough but Wagga n Albury are strong motel towns, for different reasons, Albury is a bit disjointed geographically in the motel locations but has become a busy service centre,  and wagga has military, tourism, uni, passing trade, big economy.  
    Sounds like you're targeting big strong country towns which is a good move.
    Ensure you have an exit strategy when going in. You may want to sell it at some time.
    Lease must provide well for you the landlord in defaults, CPI increases, clear inventory, who owns what, who pays for what and when, and provide an answer for the frequent sticking point of landlord's right of entry vs Bank's right of entry/seizure of leasehold in the case of tenant rent default or tenant mortgage payment default, . I would like a lease clause which says it is a default of an essential term of the lease if the tenant is late in any mortgage payment or any other financial obligation to the bank which might be a default of the loan agreement or cause the bank to takeover the lease etc . But I must be general here.

A quality investment of this type needs to be one without drama. This depends on a few items like ensuring the lease is structured correctly with sustainable ratios of turnover : tenant nett income : rent , so that it doesn't become difficult for the tenant to continue paying rent.   It also depends on the ability of the tenant as a motel operator, and the attributes and continued viability of the motel property and business, like location, size, rooms, chain, restaurant, star rating, local economy, etc.
    The operator needs to maintain the star rating or equivalent, and upgrade/refurbish at set intervals to maintain market share.

Look at as many leases as possible so you know what the market expects or will tolerate.
    e.g. Some landlords own the bathroom tiles, some don't. (pls don't). 
    Grey areas are future conflicts waiting to happen. Get rid of any gray areas and what is left should be black n white.

9.0%  – 9.5 % is common right now, 10% is rare and may have problems attached. Some have high depreciation options remaining. Avoid towns in early stages of highway bypass or recovery from bypass.  Plenty of due diligence required.

I have a lease I can send you if you like, need an email address, PM me.

Hope you find a good one.

Cheers
    thecrest

Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

@ljfzz

Gday 'thecrest', thanks for the detailed response. Thanks for the offer with respect to a copy of a lease, I do need to see some examples. Happy to provide my email (but what does PM me mean?) Sorry, i'm a bit IT challenged. I see the list of brokers you provided in one of your other posts and have perused them, is there an industry body/association where people register their interest to buy or sell or have the ability to source further info?  Further to this, what would you suggest the market price is to sell additional years of lease and at what point of time during the lease period do they generally seek additional years? Hope people don't mind the barrage of questions.
    Thanks.

Participant
    @thecrest

Hi LJFZZ
    PM means private message. You can send one in this forum. Click on my name on top of my last reply next to "355 posts" and find it from there. Or post your email address here and I send you a lease. Either is OK.

There is no body or industry association where you can register your interest, just brokers who are like real estate salesmen.
    Buying a motel from a broker is just like buying a house from a Real Estate Agent. The agent / broker represents the vendor who pays a commission to the broker on sale. Broker lists the motel, website, newspapers etc, takes enquiries, sends out info (figures), uses best persuasion and sales techniques, takes well qualified buyers around to show them properties. It's very competitive between brokers for listings and sales. They usually charge 3-4% Freehold or Investment, and 6% Leasehold.

The market price for additional years depends on the individual lease and how much it netts the leaseholder p.a.

It's always good to have the option to add extra years to the lease, usually suits both parties and they come in handy as part of your exit strategy.  A lease from your point of view as a landlord, looks better with 25 years on it rather than say 5. Banks will see a 5 year lease coming to an end soon, but not so much a 25 year one. Also it's worth more as an asset with more years on it.
    Human nature looks at a 25 year lease and says " life sentence", don't worry about it, but looks at a 15 year lease and starts amortising it, working out how much it's worth per remaining year. For a landlord to sell extra years is really money for jam.
    For the tenant, it's unnecessary expenditure with no return until those extra years either commence, or unless you're selling and want the lease to look its best and longest.  It's peace of mind of course for a tenant to keep the lease years as long as possible so it is easier to re-sell. A typical ball park figure would be around $3-5K p.a. though, but some landlords don't even charge for them. They're just happy to have a tenant stay there.

No probs with questions, happy to help. Email ?
    Cheers
    thecrest

Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of sstrachasstracha
    @sstracha

Hi peoples,

I am considering buying a leasehold motel and have a couple of questions that someone here may be able to answer.

1) I assume that the value of the lease decreases as it gets closer to it’s term. If this is the case is this a depreciation that can be claimed by the leaseholder and if so at what rate?

2) I am getting the impression that finance beyond a LVR or 50% is unlikely but if this is not the case, who provides it and what (if any) is the catch ?

3) What terms are usual for loans on leases and what is the maximum term that is available ?

I thank anyone that answers in advance.

Cheers
    sstracha

Participant
    @thecrest

Hi Sstrache

Questions.
    Which part of the lease are you intending buying –  the tenant  or landlord ?
    Are you going to operate the motel yourself, or under management ?
    What price bracket ?
    Location or town  – Where ?
    How old is the building ?
    How many rooms ?
    Star rating ?
    With or without restaurant ?
    What's the nett after rent, turnover, and rent ?
    How many years remaining on the lease ?

Answers to your questions.
    1. If you amortise the lease cost per year for the remaining years of the term, then it should be a cost attributable to each year, but tax deductablilty is a question for an accountant familiar with your particular circumstances.
    Most new leases are 25 – 30 years, which if on-sold before they reach 23 years will still be regarded by most potential purchasers as more then enough and rather like a double life sentence and unfortunately more than most offenders get for 1st degree murder these days.
    2. Finance beyond 50% is rare to my knowledge, and getting finance at all depends on the lender and on you satisfying them that you can competently operate such a  business and service the loan. Suggest you talk to one of the finance brokers on this forum who have thousands of posts to their credit helping others with finance.
    3. Haven't heard of commercial loan terms beyond 15 years with motels. Whether they provide you  (interest only) IO or P&I  loans depends on the lender, your circumstances and the property etc.  At 50% LVR, which is onerous really, I personally don't feel like funnelling any more money back to them other than interest each month than I have to. 

Happy to give you any help I can.

Cheers
    thecrest (motelier)

Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

Hi thecrest i can confirm after speaking to my uncle and his son at the weekend at a family Reunion that he is retired from owning/ managing pubs/ motels and going into selling them. Also got myself a solicitor conveyance for FREE though i said i'd give $150 for each one. Nice contact :). Based out of Sydney office and an office in Melbourne.  if you remember Big Brother years ago he was the Cop (Ben). Pubs and motels he will be doing out of Mooney Ponds real estate Melbourne. They're still organising licences and preparations yet.

Also had an interesting chat about all the history of the pubs, clubs and renovations he's (him and his wife and kids) done and resold over the decades. Back in the early days his wife was the cook for a 100 kids guess house on the farm i grew up on for kids that had never seen a cow but thought you pull it by the tail to get milk out of them.

Participant
    @thecrest

Hey Jaffasoft
    There's a good upbringing and education, hard work fresh air good values and knowing where the food really comes from.
    That'd be a buzz running a guesthouse farm with city kids, very rewarding.
    Knew a guy just past Dandenong in Vic who gave up slogging with the farming and turned his acres into a western style horse ranch for girls only, boys not allowed, just girls and horses, and they flocked to it, many kept their horses there full time, parents happy to keep writing the cheques, the parents were like " hey, did you say no boys ? OK how much do you want ?"  western style, bunkhouse, ring the triangle for meals, trail rides, in house events, campfires, good horse fencing, big tack room, all totally horse and girl focussed, chockers every holidays. It saved the farm and their backs. 

Good time for a new broker to enter the market, last year they starved. They market is going very well now. 
    We split our freehold motel into a lease, and as soon as we did, the first looker bought the landlord side of our lease, and the tenant part is being looked at closely right now, and should sell next week.
    As you and your uncle probably know, the successful brokers have high ranking (Google ranking / SEO ) websites to attract buyer enquiry, live on the road to find the listings, with first  class communications and fast callback times, good rapport with finance, and the good listeners win. Good luck to your uncle and family, we wish him well and with a god team around him and their runs on the board in hospitality they should do very well. 
    Our plan is now well under way to own 3 leaseholds run under management, ROI typically 20%.  Good brokers make the searching, buying and selling possible, we value their services.  
    Don't remember Big Brother except the Qld rubbish, do remember Blue Heelers with a young heart throb blond guy cop called Ben, is that the one ? It was filmed at the beautiful old pub at Como, NSW,  which unfortunately burnt down later.

When your uncle is operational, put his details on here and we'll give him our listing of our leasehold, if it's not yet sold.
    Anyone wanting a good earning motel leasehold in Central western NSW call me, $365K with ROI 30% and free 3 brm home thrown in, genuine 8 years of figures, we're upscaling.
    Cheers
    thecrest

Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Participant
    @thecrest

Hi  Sstrache
    Have you made any progress on your leasehold motel search?

Hi Jaffasoft
    Is your family hotel / motel broking business in Mooney Ponds up and running ?

cheers
    thecrest

Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

The solicitor is still doing an Real Estate Agents License coarse online so he can list them. It's imminent but no don't think there listing yet. I will email him in the next few days.

Participant
    @thecrest

Hi Jaffasoft
    From what many brokers have told me, and for what it's worth, there are several ways of generating leads.
    Listings hard-earned by visiting every motel in the state, this works better than anything, many kms, raises profile.
    Can't sell or list motels unless you know the market and that's how you learn the market. The greats are great listeners.
    Then, list them on a good website which ranks highly on search engines, and shows properties clearly, and is easy for potential buyers to navigate according to their preferences e.g. general area, leasehold or freehold, , price, with restaurant or not, ROI, number of residence bedrooms, etc. so that buyers can search effectively without becoming frustrated.
    Other brokers bulk email flyers every week to their mailing list promoting buys of the week or just a selection of listings and links to the rest on their website.
    The weekend newspapers are a flop, except a small pointer ad to the broker's website.
    Hope your family's venture is a great success.
    Cheers
    thecrest 

Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of loanmodloanmod
    @loanmod

Nice post….. I think your article is helpful  for  those people who are thinking for mortel investment.

Participant
    @thecrest

Update :
    We have finally sold our motel, took about 2 years.
    Split it into a leasehold and sold off the 2 parts of the lease, landlord and tenant.
    Like owning a building and a restaurant business in it. You can create a lease and sell the building off to an investor who just wants to own a tenanted building, collect rent and not operate a restaurant. Then you can sell the restaurant business to someone who wants to own & operate a restaurant and pay rent, but doesn't want to own property.

Now we're continuing on track to buy 3  motel leaseholds min $600K to operate under management.
    Target areas limited to towns with conventional reasons for growth and  located mid western NSW from Dubbo to Wagga.
    Not interested in towns sustained by mining, or anything else which might peter out.
    Excellent buying right now as the buyers have dried up.
    Commercial interest rates are relatively low, could be better, and unlikely to rise for a while.

Our 2 year plan has come to fruition and the next 5 year phase is starting.
    We had great help from RESULTS RP4,  (it was worth the money and thank you Brendan) and heaps of info from good people on this forum. 

Thanks to all. 

Cheers
    thecrest

Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of KeilysmithKeilysmith
    @keilysmith

A quality investment of this type should not be a drama. It depends on several factors such as the preservation of the rental is well structured with sustainable income ratios: net rental income tenants, making it difficult for the tenant to continue paying the rent. It also depends on the ability of the tenant and operator of the motel, and attributes and the continued viability of the motel property and business.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 210 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.