All Topics / Value Adding / Re Directing the sewer line to build units

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of safeashousessafeashouses
    @safeashouses

I am considering buying a house on a big block. It could hold  2 units in the backyard. The problem is you cant build on the old sewer line that runs across the property.
    Has anyone knowledge of likely cost/difficulty in having the sewer line re directed, as it may have to be upgraded anyway for new dwellings. This may be a "deal killer"

Profile photo of jazz77jazz77
    @jazz77

you are correct,  you cannot usually build  the house directly over a sewer line.

Im assuming you mean it is the main sewer line servicing the street, not just the branch for the existing house.
    Although you cant usually build on top of the sewer you can build close to it. By using concrete piers bored down to close to the sewer depth you can build very close to the sewer. You will need consent from the authority that controls the sewer easement.
    Depends on your situation but i would imagine rerouting a main sewer line would pretty expensive, more than putting in concrete piers.

Depending on the proposed layout of your units you may be able to work around the easement. I have just completed one where we got permission to build decks and pergolas directly over the sewer line easement. Also doing one now that has the rear wall of the unit 800mm horizontaly from the sewer line which is 3.9metres deep.

Profile photo of safeashousessafeashouses
    @safeashouses

It is the branch of the main sewer line servicing the old house currently. It cuts right across the middle of the block at an angle, so it would have to be moved to be able to utilise the block.

Profile photo of skuzskuz
    Participant
    @skuz

I would stay away from the house if your planning on utilising it for units. Look around and you'll eventually find plenty of properties that don't have easements running through the block. By the sounds of things there is no way of building units with the sewer lines in their current position. You'd be better off paying a little extra for a block clear of any easements, will give you more possibilities.

Profile photo of skuzskuz
    Participant
    @skuz

Also, I have never enquired to a council about moving main sewer lines but I would imagine it would be a definite no no. and even if you were to pay for the works yourself I reckon it would be in the tens of thousands of dollar.

Profile photo of herbpetersonherbpeterson
    @herbpeterson
    safeashouses wrote:
    It is the branch of the main sewer line servicing the old house currently. It cuts right across the middle of the block at an angle, so it would have to be moved to be able to utilise the block.

If it is the sewer line from an existing house to the main sewer under an easement, then this can be moved anywhere by a plumber, as long as he has enough "fall" that it will run.

@jazz77

herbpeterson is correct
    T
    here is a big difference between the sewer line to the house and the main sewer.

Its really the easement that you need to look at.

I think you would most likely renew the old line if it is old anyway, you can build over this sewer line to the old house but there are a few restrictions, such as the sewer must have an IO (inspection opening) at the point it goes under the new unit and the point it comes out. It also must travel in a straight line ie : no bends under the new unit.

Any plumbers out there got any info on this?

Jarrod

@jazz77

herbpeterson is correct
    T
    here is a big difference between the sewer line to the house and the main sewer.

Its really the easement that you need to look at.

I think you would most likely renew the old line if it is old anyway, you can build over this sewer line to the old house but there are a few restrictions, such as the sewer must have an IO (inspection opening) at the point it goes under the new unit and the point it comes out. It also must travel in a straight line ie : no bends under the new unit.

Any plumbers out there got any info on this?

Jarrod

Profile photo of DiggermanDiggerman
    @diggerman

Hi Thomas, I am a civil contractor a majority of my work is installation of sewer and stormwater to subdivisions and yes you can build over sewer line all shires basically have the same requirements i;e permits to bridge and pier end of the day it may be cheaper to do a sewerage diversion as compared with piering and bridging costs, have contacts with designers should you need cheers Don

Profile photo of RedRoofRedRoof
    @redroof

Hi Thomas

Is there an easement? Is the sewer lined shared with another neighbour?  If not, you can probably move it. I have moved one at on one of my investment properties, but there was no easement. My advice is get advice from the local Council. Its worth a trip to the Council office – they can usually bring it up on screen and show you what's going on. This is the only way to be sure, and ESSENTIAL before you buy. Besides, if its not a problem, there's no need to let the Selling Agent know – use it as a bargaining point!

Yvette Goulter
    Principal, RedRoof – Licensed Buyers Agents, Brisbane.
    http://www.redroof.com.au

Profile photo of RohantheboatRohantheboat
    Participant
    @mennie

Hi, I’m bring up an old issue again but I’m in a similar situation and wanting more advice. I’d like to redirect a 250mm earthenware sewer main on my property. I’ve been told it’s about 2m deep. I keep hearing that it’s going to be expensive to move but what’s ‘expensive? In my case the line is 80m long and in a green field site with easy access. I’ve also heard of a new delving technology to repair pipes, which makes repairing old pipes and building over them easier but have also heard it’s expensive. But what’s expensive? I’m trying to get a formal quote but would also like to hear others experience. Thanks

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.