All Topics / Value Adding / Do I need permission to knock down wall in a house?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of audwinswaudwinsw
    Participant
    @audwinsw

Hi all,
    I need to knock down few walls on my invetment property? The aim is to have an open-living design.

Does anyone know if a permit is needed from council?

I know that if you live in a block of units you will need body corporate, but this is just a normal house.

Profile photo of jbendalljbendall
    @jbendall

Hi Audwinsw,

In regards to this certain subject, I'm pretty sure that you DO NOT need any sort of permission or permit to knock down a couple of walls in an Investment property. But i'm not 100% on this subject.

I'll give it a bit of research for you, and I'll PM you further.

Regards,

Jbendall

Profile photo of MasihMasih
    Participant
    @masih

I believe if it's part of the structure of the house such as load bearing walls then you will need council permission. If they are purely to seprate the rooms or for looks then you should be OK.

You can have a look at the Parrmatta DCP to give you an idea. But it your local council DCP could be different.
    http://www.parracity.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/2223/DCP_2005.pdf

Profile photo of audwinswaudwinsw
    Participant
    @audwinsw

Thanks Masih,
    Do you know who can help to submit the plan to council?

Is it an architect or a surveyor?

Profile photo of dollarmandollarman
    @dollarman

i renovate houses for a living. 4 weeks ago i took out 3 load bearing walls ( to make it more open plan) and when going to council we found out there was no actual plans for the house at the council, so we didnt bother going through council. just used the BCA and got adequate beams and renovated the house.

might not be legal. but id like to see the council rip off gyprock to proove it wasnt existing 25 years ago..

if u want peace of mind, get it drawn up and submit plans to council..

Profile photo of MasihMasih
    Participant
    @masih
    audwinsw wrote:
    Thanks Masih,
    Do you know who can help to submit the plan to council?

Is it an architect or a surveyor?

I think it's best if you contact the council or just give them a visit. Most of the time they're not doing anything anyways. They will explain everything you need to do.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.