Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of audrienneKaudrienneK
    Participant
    @audriennek

Hi everyone. I am new here

I am living in an apartment (one bedroom apartment) and planning to change the carpet to floorboard. Kinda like bamboo but from what I heard, it seem that bamboo is not very popular.

Plan to live in the apartment for 2-3 more years before I rent it out/sell it.

My question is if i decide to go ahead with bamboo, will that reduce the resale value . And given the size of the apartment is that worth it to “invest” at real timber instead of bamboo/floating floorboard.

Profile photo of kellylockkellylock
    @kellylock

Hi Audrienne,

I heard about bamboo floorboards just the other day. Apparently they are cheaper, a renewable resource, and very hard (so less scratches and scuffs etc…)

I wonder if bamboo is not popular because it is just new, as I had only heard about it in the last 2 weeks.

I don’t have any experience with bamboo and resale of houses, but when I saw it, it looked just like timber floorboards, so that makes me think that it may not make any difference to the resale price.

Kelly

Profile photo of JFisherJFisher
    @jfisher

I love the idea of bamboo flooring, as Kelly said it is a sustainable flooring and is right up there with the more hard wearing timber floors. In this day and age with people being very receptive to sustainable design I think it would be a great marketing feature if the property was ever sold, but if kept for an IP then the flooring would look as good, if not better, in a few years time than any other floor that you could lay . Go for it I think.

Julie Fisher
    daryl fisher homes

Profile photo of celesteceleste
    Participant
    @celeste

Hi all

I picked up some at auction and intend putting it thru my next 3 projects ( I buy,reno,sell), the 3rd is an apartment and I think it will be my wow factor. It’s easy to lay, you can float it same as the laminates. It is a hardwood not fake wood. It pre finished so no sanding and vanishing.

There are plenty of sites on the internet on how to do it.

Celeste

Profile photo of AmandaBSAmandaBS
    Participant
    @amandabs

I’ve seen it layed in a display home and it felt quite soft underfoot. I saw an article on TV the other day saying how it can withstand traffic much better than timber.
    Seems to be around $100m retail but like Celeste I’ve seen it go through the auction rooms for only $25m.

We’ll certainly be looking at using it in our next project.

AmandaBS
    http://www.propertydivas.com.au
    FREE online Property Resources

“It is better to be inconspicuously wealthy, than to be ostentatiously poor…”

Profile photo of audrienneKaudrienneK
    Participant
    @audriennek

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

My next question is should I keep carpet on bedroom? It seem that some ppl prefer to have carpet in bedroom.

I personally think, given the size of the apartment, it would look nicer to have bamboo for the whole room of the apartment (except the bathroom).

Profile photo of JFisherJFisher
    @jfisher

We took carpet out of our bedroom and then put it back in a few years later. We get big temperature differences from winter to summer and the floorboards were still too cold in winter, in saying that we are up on stumps with a conventional timber floor that is over 60 years old; if you are laying floating floor on a slab then draughts wouldn’t be an issue.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.