All Topics / Help Needed! / R-Zoning, What Does it Mean?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Profile photo of arthurongarthurong
    Participant
    @arthurong

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone can help clarify this question for me.

What does the R-zoning mean? (R20, R30, R40 etc)

Thanks! [buz2]

Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

It relates to the number of dwellings that can go on the block. I think different shires are differnt so you may need to check with the individual shire as to what the specific codes mean.

When zones change investors will often look for blocks where the change will allow an extra dwelling or two and snap it up so they can then subdivide and put an additional house on the block.

Note that a zone type doens’t mean automatic approval for additoanl dwellings though as other factors also come into play ie: the size of the block may meet the zoning but a council may still decline an application if the frontage isn’t considered big enough ie: one shore I know of in WA state that a block must be 26m across the front before an application will be approved.

So if your looking at subdivinding then find out what zoning number you need, then also find out what else is required such as frontage, whether each block when subdivided must be a certain size (this may means some blocks where the house is dead in the middle may be no good as the rear block would then be two small.

Hope this helps a bit.
    PK

Profile photo of Chris.R_WAChris.R_WA
    Participant
    @chris.r_wa

Hi Arthur,

The R-Code technically refers to how many dwellings can be placed on a 1.00 acre area. ie. R-40 = 40 houses per acre, or about 250sqm per lot. That means if you have a 900ish sqm lot, you “could” put a maximum of 4 villas/townhouses on the land.
    As purplekiss said however, this is the maximum, and subject to other conditions by the local government and planning commision. Conditions can include things such as minimum frontage/setbacks, number of car parking spaces, minimum outdoor entertainment area (approx 20m for R-40), access and several others.
    Best thing to do would be contact the local government and ask for a copy of their residential design codes, and the relevent state planning commission for a copy of their subdivsion guidelines.

Best wishes

Chris

Profile photo of arthurongarthurong
    Participant
    @arthurong

Many thanks PK & Chris,

How are you guys going with you investing?

Sounds like you’re both in WA?

Do you have a smart property accountants?

Cheers[biggrin]

Profile photo of dejong_fdejong_f
    @dejong_f

Hi,
    This is my first post so please bear with me. I have recently been looking at zonings, etc and come to the conclusion that whilst councils may be common in there thinking of zone classification, they are certainly different in there views of what can be done. For example building setbacks from the road, significant trees and how they are evaluated, corner allotments, etc, etc.
    Suggest you speak with council as l have found them quite approachable and willing to help.

Good luck![biggrin]

Frank De Jong

Profile photo of cjmcjm
    Participant
    @cjm

r40 zoning would give approx four x 250 sq mtr blocks, not 40 per acre, I think. Simply knock off th 0 from the 40 and divide by 1000. Very roughly.

Profile photo of NewMoneyNewMoney
    @newmoney

Does anyone know who the best person to speak to about this would be? Lands Planning and Environment etc.? I wouldn’t mind trying to get hold of a copy of the legislation etc for it.

Thanks!

Profile photo of alpinatiialpinatii
    Participant
    @alpinatii

Thanks for clarifying this questions. I was wondering myself. Having an 1000m block close to the city with R40 zoning had little relevance to me until I have seen the answers here. Much appreciated.

Profile photo of sunsetsunset
    @sunset

things must be different in aussie land.  here in the US, R-40 zoning generally means minimum lot size is 40,000 square feet. (which means any R40 lot smaller than 80,000 SF cannot be subdivided without a zoning change)

Profile photo of vsdabhivsdabhi
    @vsdabhi

Can anyone explain proposed R20/30 please?
    There is an RE ad, says block size 769m2 and proposed R20/30. Surburb Langford WA 6147.
    Thanks

Profile photo of yabster71yabster71
    @yabster71

Vs – it usually means that they are proposing to change the zoning from the existing zoning of R20 to R30. That is, you are then able to potentially build more houses per hectare. Best way to find out is to check out the website for the local shire (think it may be in Shire of Gosnells?) to see their local planning drafts. To fully cover yourself you probably should write to them requesting written confirmation of their plans.

Hope this helps.

Profile photo of airstrike2001airstrike2001
    Participant
    @airstrike2001

Hi VSdabhi

I Live in the City of Gosnells  (shire for Langford) check the city's website at http://www.gosnells.wa.gov.au/default-gosnells.asp
    Look for the section in Hotlinks (on the main page) called zoning enquiries and download the R-Codes that are applicable to the City and this document will explain all the relevant details i.e how many blocks(Houses) you can put on the block you are looking into. If you live locally pop into the Head office and have a chat to the town planner – they are usually very good however sometimes they can be very abrupt as per my dealings with them.

This information should be available from all the City's/shires in WA and across Australia.

Newmoney FYI as well

Cheers
    Airstrike

Profile photo of jdufalljdufall
    Participant
    @jdufall

The R code relates to the maximum lots (units or houses) per hectare of land (10,000m^2). It also has setback restrictions and wall length restrictions at certain setbacks. Generally you can get away with a lot size within 10% of the calculated r code size. The state planning commissions adhere to the r code and the local councils place more restrictions such as maximum coverage per lot and shadow restrictions.

Cheers

John

Profile photo of Kent CliffeKent Cliffe
    Participant
    @kent-cliffe

Hi,Here is a link to one of the charts I use very often. This is for WA. Always remember that due to different council requirments, even if the R-Codes suggest you can do something, always check with the council to make sure.

• This reply was modified 10 years ago by  Kent Cliffe.
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by Profile photo of Administrator Administrator.
    Profile photo of hillzapphillzapp
    @hillzapp

have just googled this in wa

zoning name                         size
    R17.5                                               500  
    R20                                                   440
    R25                                                   320
    R30                                                  270
    R35                                                    235
    R40                                                     200
    R50                                                   160
    R60                                                   160

Note: Assumes single or grouped dwellings only. Multiple dwellings have different area requirements. Refer to R-Codes.

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

For the sake of clarity, I would also note that Victoria has a similar sounding zone (R1Z) which refers to land zoned for residential use. Unfortunately there are no rigidly prescribed densities within the Victorian Planning Scheme, instead this is a negotiable outcome based on planning arguments and subjective advice.

Profile photo of luke86luke86
    Participant
    @luke86
    yabster71 wrote:
    Vs – it usually means that they are proposing to change the zoning from the existing zoning of R20 to R30. That is, you are then able to potentially build more houses per hectare. Best way to find out is to check out the website for the local shire (think it may be in Shire of Gosnells?) to see their local planning drafts. To fully cover yourself you probably should write to them requesting written confirmation of their plans.

Hope this helps.

Sounds like a marketing ploy by a RE agent to me, with no guarantee that the zone change will ever occur. And I would be very surprised if a council would put it in writing that they are considering a zoning change due to legal and liability reasons!!

Cheers,
    Luke

Profile photo of Jason StaggersJason Staggers
    Participant
    @jason_staggers

For a full treatment of this topic, please see the PropertyInvesting.com article, “R-Zoning Codes for Western Australia – What Does it Mean?” available here: https://www.propertyinvesting.com/r-zoning-codes-for-western-australia/

For a broader, Australia-wide description of zoning codes, check out, “Zoning in Australia – What’s Up With All These Codes?” which you can find here: https://www.propertyinvesting.com/zoning-in-australia/

Jason Staggers | JasonStaggers.com
    http://jasonstaggers.com
    Email Me

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.