All Topics / General Property / how to add value to a house

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Profile photo of gattagagattaga
    @gattaga

i have read that cladding a fibro home could add $30,000 in value to the house.is this true?i would like to know what other people do to add value,and how much.

Profile photo of grossrealisationgrossrealisation
    @grossrealisation

Hi gattaga
    rip the roof off, put the same size as the bottom on top, reno it and flog it to a family.
    do it right and you will double the value of the house for 1/4 of the original value check with the real estate that by doing this you are not over capitalising for the area.
    It also gives the whoo factor and that sells.
    if you are a handyman most of the internals you can do yourself ask the builder if you can help him in the build.
    There is no easy building and there is no easy reno.
    As for cladding depends the area and the price of the cladding. and how much you want to spend

here to help

Profile photo of Richo1Richo1
    @richo1

Hi gattaga
    why do you need to reclad the house. you can use the money better on refinishing the fidro with granosite products in a modern colours and use good landscaping good fenceing (and not water features they are waste of time and money)
    And gross is right go up but it will cost more than 30k but more rooms more rent
    good design does not cost more money, just creativity

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

I very much doubt it.

Also cladding a weatherboard home should be a crime!

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker

[email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

Hi,

You are only going to add value if you do what buyers and or tenants want in your particular market.

Research and speak to agents – watch reactions at open homes. View properties that are achieving higher yields and copy.

[email protected] – Experienced investors living in NZ who can find properties to meet your needs! Email us to receive details of upcoming deals.
    Project management also available – finding solutions for problem properties! <b>We can manage your renovation project for you.</b>

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of roborobo
    @robo

Are you going to sell it or rent it? You won’t add 30k but you will add value and make it more appealing to buyers or renters.
    I have a cladding business and clad 2-3 homes a week, fibro and to Simons disgust weatherboard.
    Why do people clad?
    Fibro?
    Especially now days people want to cover up the asbestos, also to get rid of cover strips add insulation and no more painting. Granosite you still have to give 1 coat of paint. In NSW work cover regulations are, you are not allowed to sand, or cut fibro with a power saw.
    Weatherboard?
    Most people that clad over w/board have left the painting to long and the cost to paint is nearly the price of cladding plus on going maintenance. I quoted a house today that had that fake brick sheeting over w/board now thats criminal.
    I just sold an IP that i Cladded, new windows, gutter,fascia 2 years ago, no outside maintenance at all,like new, if you saw the before photos it looked like a knock down? Needs reno inside Sold in 2 weeks,4k under asking price.
    I guess i am biast.
    Robo

http://www.bestclad.com.au

Profile photo of jparsonsjparsons
    @jparsons

Good post Robo, agree, cladding is a great way to go. I think people just think it is a “cover up”. But it is actually purposeful for a number of reasons, as you listed.

J.

Jarrod.

http://www.jenterprisegroup.com.au
    data-security-communications-entertainment systems<- home networking and home theatres- talk to me first!!
    *Technology Consultants*
    Brisbane.Gold coast.Sunshine coast

Profile photo of MillyMilly
    @milly

Only some practical male investor [wink]would think that cladding would increase the value of a house that much. Ok granted it looks better than fibro but…..

Just bear in mind who picks the nest. It’s the female. And she is looking at those lovely curtains, the french doors, the newly renovated bathroom and STREET APPEAL. She wants to drive up and think ‘HOME”. She doesnt hear hubby moaning about the missing gutters or the fact that stumps need replacing.

If you want to add value then think aesthetics. Pretty it up. Instead of cladding on the boring fibro box…put a verandah on it, some window boxes under the sills. Get rid of the bright green or orange ’70s kitchen!

milly

Profile photo of marsdenmarsden
    @marsden

Listen to Milly. There is a lot of wisdom in what she says. Cheapest and best form of reno is to make everything clean! Fresh interior paint and new carpets!

A nicely painted “fibro” can also make a very nice presentation. A new coat of paint can be more effective than a relatively expensive cladding job.

I don’t know if Milly agrees but landscaping can improve the appearance of any house. Unfortunately, shrubs and trees can take time to mature so you often have to buy mature plants. A well cared for house of any fabric that blends in with its surrounds is always appealing.

Perhaps spending the money on paint & plants may be a better solution.

@robo

I wouldn’t rent myself or put a tenant in a fibro house with out covering it with something. Asbestos is a real risk and worry now, you only have to bump a corner and it is exposed. Especially with kids playing around a house. It won’t be long when vendors will have to show where and how much asbestos is in a home for sale? Painting it won’t add value, i have seen lots of fibro houses painted and 12 mths later go chalky? Grano is better, althogh they still have that fibro boxy look IMO.If its for a quick sale i would spruce it up, if its a long term rental i would clad it and forget about it.
    Robo

Profile photo of marsdenmarsden
    @marsden

Not all fibro has asbestos! Since about mid-80s only asbestos free has been allowed. Some early products were just a fibro cement. As long as you don’t sand or drill asbestos content fibro everything is safe and free of worry.

A suggestion for adding value to a fibro house is to add a layer of weatherboards or even composite weatherboard to the lower half of the house. I think this may be an ‘arts & craft’ style. The weatherboard can be painted a different colour to reduce the ‘boxy’ appearance!

@robo

Hi Steve,
    Regarding this quote from your newsletter: The material used to clad a weatherboard house is usually aluminium, although these days vinyl-wrap is also available as a cost effective synthetic substance.
    I don’t know where you got this info from but most houses these days are clad with PVC Vinyl not aluminium? Also: [red]Cladding is an external ‘shell’ that is predominately used on weatherboard houses ,[/red A big percentage of cladded homes are fibro, also now hardy plank.
    Robo

Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

Render paint is marvellous on fibro houses. No where near as expensive as recladding. Dulux and Bristile both have products that look great.

PK

Profile photo of island dreamisland dream
    @island-dream

I disagree with Steve on the whole “cladding” issue. Cladding is the term given to the exterior skin of the home not just a specific aluminium product. One form of cladding is brick veneer!
    There are very big rewards in “recladding” a fibro home – not just for resale but for renting as well. People get the spooks about fibro, eventhough if it is kept sealed (painting is fine) and not mucked around with (creating any dust is bad if it is asbestos sheeting). If you reclad a house like this (found in many Brissy seaside suburbs) chances are you will get $30K+++ back. A lot of these homes are being very trendily (not sure if this is a real word?) revamped with colourbond “cladding” This is a great “no upkeep” solution for renters and buyers alike!

Profile photo of tgavin71tgavin71
    @tgavin71

We have cladding on our PPOR. Our first instinct was to rip it off but after living in it for a while we are happy to let it stay. Cladding is a great insulator. We rarely have the heater or fans on as we just don’t need it. Saves us a stack of money. Also the low maintenance is a huge benefit. Cladding products these days are a lot more visually appealing than in the past. Some homes you have to go up real close to before you know they are clad.
    Our house was clad in the 80’s and just screams “look at me I’m cladded” but we love it. Makes it easy for people to find us.

Profile photo of intelligenttraderetteintelligenttraderette
    Participant
    @intelligenttraderette

Hi

I always believe that the things women look at the most when buying a new house is the kitchen and bathroom. Hands down – these matter the most.

I have learned this not only through buying and selling for investment, but personally as well.

Use second hand and/or auction places for your tiles, whitegoods etc. Look up on the net or maybe in the yellow pages. Most times you can save 30 – 50% on RRP. Then there is always the neighbourhood newspapers. Alot of the times you can get an old kitchen for nothing, all you have to do is remove it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Profile photo of Cabo WaboCabo Wabo
    Participant
    @cabo-wabo

Do it yourself. If there is something you don’t know how to do… do it anyway. If your any good at all with tools etc, you’ll make it up as you go along. (thats not saying you don’t come up with a plan… but a good plan is a flexible plan).

People who are good with tools simply have used them more than those who aren’t. Its worth it ten times over because you need only learn it once, but can repeat it 1000 times.

Also, don’t be afraid to buy tools. Buying $150 worth of wrenches, or power tools, or what have you, to do a job that would cost you $200 if a tradie did it is WORTH IT, because you get a $200 done, you keep the tool, and you now know you can do it, & can do it in half the time next time.

I’ve just done the paving of a back patio. I’d never done one like it before.. more damn curves than Mae West, but i’ve learn from my mistakes, it looks good (definately good enough to add value) and i cost me a fraction of what a tradesman would have charged (especially with all the curves! – lots of cutting).

Don’t forget cheap new DIY light fittings (get rid of those horrible bloody 70’s chandleir looking things!), and new cheap door knobs. (brushed aluminum is IN, gold is OUT!)

Retic – Use the black flexible 20mm poly for retic (not the white PVC. It is SO easy and CHEAP!!!

OK thats enough from me

If you’ve the time, do it yourself…. go the tools….

Cabo Wabo

Profile photo of suzieqsuzieq
    @suzieq

Hey Gattaga,

I wouldn’t be cladding a fibro home, I have had a reasonable amount of experience with Fibro and PAINT is an amazing thing. If the home hasn’t got a Dado band, put some moulding on and give it a lick of paint….different tonings above and below dado, trimmings in a contrasting color and a nice picket fence…..amazing what that can do. I believe half the battle is getting people through the front door! Good luck

sq

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.