All Topics / Opinionated! / What type of vehicle do you have ??

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 456 total)
  • Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

Thought I’d ask the forum what type of vehicle they drive…maybe in the hope of seeing a wide variety of, and number of vehicles. Dr Stanley of the American “Millionaire next door” series had a great list of cars that the wealthy drive…and it wasn’t what you’d expect.

So, I may as well start off ;

We are a one car family, having bought a ’97 bog standard white Holden Commodore sedan last year at the Govt auctions for 12K.

My dream car is a beat up F150 with all of the redneck extras like mud tyres and spotties on the roof…now that’d impress the Joneses next door.

What about you ??

Cheers,

Dazzling

“No point having a cake if you can’t eat it.”

Profile photo of Fast LaneFast Lane
    @fast-lane

Hey Dazz,

In keeping with the ‘Millionaire Next Door’ theme of ‘stacks of money, s___tty car’ I’ve got a 95 EF Falcon (330 000km’s on the clock) I payed $10 000 for in 2001 that since then has had about $20 000 worth of smash repairs done to it.

Now here’s the problem, I’ve got the car but not the money… Have I missed something???

Profile photo of fostonfoston
    @foston

I drive a 2004 Ford Focus sedan, great little car.
    Foston

Life is a series of new beginnings

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

Hi all,

Just the one car at the moment.

1994 honda usa touring wagon bought straight of the boat for 7k. Imported from somewhere in asia.

Little gem.

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of RegrowRegrow
    @regrow

Hi

We are also a one car family. Its a 1989 Hyundai Exel 130k on the clock and paid $2000 for it. [^]

Goes great and only costs 30 bucks a month on fuel which is a bonus considering the price of fuel these days! [angry2]

Regards

Regrow

You are a fool for 5 seconds if you ask a question, but a fool for life if you don’t.

Profile photo of giddogiddo
    @giddo

Where are all the really flash cars – the benz’s and BMWs ??
    And where are the people with more than one car??

Is this property investment stuff as profitable as they say? Or do all these investors actually practice sensible spending? Forget the Jones’s.

We too have a mere one (1) vehicle. We find it is doable for us and costs less that way.
    It is a 98 model Subaru Forester and is v good for us.
    I have other more expensive aspirations but my tussle with temptation has been influenced by my scottish ancestry and my own better sense….. so far….
    Giddo

Profile photo of ANUBISANUBIS
    Participant
    @anubis

Until Tuesday we had a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, but it has now sold.

I also have a “toy” which is an HX Sandman ute :-))

Profile photo of WakeWake
    Participant
    @wake

Hi

We can’t function with one car. Have a 2002 Ford XR8 sedan and 2003 Ford Falcon wagon. These are leased through our company. We decided there had to be more benefits than just a decent wage. Hubby has much higher aspirations for his future car, so we’ll just have to be more frugal in other areas.

Wake

Profile photo of quigglesquiggles
    @quiggles

We were a two car family – a 91 laser TX3, $5000 in 2003, and a 94 Ford ($13000 in about ’97) station wagon which we use to transport families, tools, you name it. I just wrapped the laser around a tree, total write-off and I’m back on the buses and the pushbike, depending on the weather. I’ll think about another car another time.

This doesn’t count my son’s 79 Corona, very driveable altho no power steering, which he was essentially given.

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

We have two cars which we need for my work and Jen’s university – she does a lot of placements and evenings now and public transport no longer suits.

Both cars came from the trading post for under $6000. A 97 Excel and a 95 Commodore wagon. The wagon is great as it fits the tools, the bikes and tows my sailing boat.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker

[email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

Fascinating to see the responses so far.

“Where are all the really flash cars – the Benz’s and BMWs ??” Good question giddo…

What were people’s initial expectations ??

Any more people like to share ??

Cheers,

Dazzling

“No point having a cake if you can’t eat it.”

Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

For the past 8 years I’ve owned a 1984 Nissan Bluebird which I paid $4000 for off my ex’s grand mother. I get to claim the 5000km every year for work related expenses. Last year I thought her days were numbered as the auto kept slipping. I took it to my mechanic and said if it needs a new auto you can keep it. He rang me back 4 hours later and asked me when was the last time I checked the auto transmission fluid? IT WAS EMPTY! A friend’s wife told me I’d never get laid owning this ‘piece of crap’. I told her no problem. If she knows of anyone who feels that way that I’d be glad to drive them past a couple of investment properties if they like. Pity it’s just a sedan!
    Cheers,
    Gatsby.
    (good thread Dazz!)

“Sometimes the hardest thing to do in life is often the best thing to do.”

Profile photo of Brad78Brad78
    Participant
    @brad78

I drive a 2004 Ford Xr6 Ute. Salary Sacraficed with all expences paid for by the company i work for. Does anybody know if i can claim depreciaton on this as 80% of use is work related?

Cheers,
    Brad

bwatts

Profile photo of aussiexjaussiexj
    Participant
    @aussiexj

2 cars
    I have a 2001 Jeep cherokee (for lifestyle purposes) and my wife has a 1997 mazda 323 protege.
    I suspect that most people wouldn’t waste money on cars, but I bought these cars two years ago when I was much younger and much less money wise.
    I was looking to down grade a couple of weeks ago but my accountant convinced me that it wasn’t worth it. I wasn’t too upset.

AXJ

Profile photo of SonjaSonja
    @sonja

We’re a one car family although it can be a bit difficult at times (often consider a 2nd but just never get around to it). Ours is a 1986 Holden Gemimi. We bought it from a wrecking yard in 1999 for $500 when we were (almost) flat broke. Nothing wrong with it except that it was used as a trade in and the car yard didn’t want to bother trying to sell it. Still very reliable and never needed more than new tires and a tune up once in a blue moon.

Once upon a life I had a new Toyota Starlet (it was even purple!) but sold it to pay off debts and bought the Gemimi with the change.

I kinda think a BMW would suit me though…

This is a really interesting thread Dazzling :)

Kind Regards,
    Sonja

Profile photo of BonbeachBonbeach
    Participant
    @bonbeach

Devil Yellow CV8 Monaro, Manual.

AND I love it [laugh2]

(hence Devilcv8 as my username)

Dev * [kid]

Profile photo of munjymunjy
    @munjy

Bought a new Alfa Romeo spider 2.5yrs ago for just a lil under $60Gs – before I’d even heard of investing. Really regret it. Trying to sell it now. The biggest cost to me, is the ongoing costs of servicing, etc and also the hassle cost – looking after a nice-ish car is a real pain in the proverbial.

Dream car now is something with dents – that way when I put one in, I won’t get upset over it.

Munjy

Profile photo of mjamja
    Participant
    @mja

I used to have a WRX. That nice Subaru WRX blue. Cost $44k. Paid it off in 1 year. Beaaaaauuuutiful car. Clung to the road around corners, around roundabouts at 60km/hour without moving an inch.

It sucked *premium* petrol like no tomorrow, though. I barely got 300kms to a 55 litre tank.

Got rid of it over 12 months ago for a 2003 Commodore. Virtually swapped the WRX for the Commodore. Much more fuel efficient. Still got the Commodore today. Ordinary tyres, but hey, I’d rather spend money now on appreciating assets, rather than depreciating assets. [thumbsup2]

I can’t take the car around corners or roundabouts as quickly though… [biggrin]

Profile photo of ANUBISANUBIS
    Participant
    @anubis

MJA – ohmigod, that commodore is not as fully sick as your rex [wink]

Profile photo of WylieWylie
    @wylie

I would assume that many people who contribute to and/or read this forum are interested in appreciating assets. We bought a demo model Nimbus three years ago with three years free servicing thrown in. It is the first “new” car we have ever bought and it was a wrench to pay $31K. We did save about $8K on new price for it having been driven by a salesman for three months, but to us it was new. I love it.

First car was a 1969 Corolla (when I was 17). When we had our first baby (age 28) we needed more than two doors for a capsule, and bought my parents Corona wagon, complete with venetian blinds in the back window. Next was our first air-conditioned car, a newer Corona wagon. By this stage we had three kids and this car just was not big enough. Bought a bigger wagon, first car which cost more than $2K. Paid $15K just before the used car market collapsed about 9 years ago. Traded that in for $1K three years ago.

We just got sick of having cars that cost us money to run as they got older. Our plan is to have this car for ten years or longer. Seven seats is very handy.

It always amazes me that a couple of my friends used to buy a new car every couple of years. I was putting my money into IPs and they thought they were doing well, driving around in flash cars.

Our friends the “Jones” are tossers who have just spent about $130K on two new cars. Jeez, they look way cool in their leather upholstery, and I would love to have the money to spend, but it certainly would not be spent on a lump of metal with wheels. I would use that $130K in a much better way, which I don’t need to spell out to you on this forum.

So, Dazzling, in answer to your question about where are the BMWs and Jags. They are very often driven (not always – don’t want to offend anyone) by those who want to LOOK rich rather than BE rich.

Regards, Wylie

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 456 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.