All Topics / Forum Frolic / Anyone had Lasik or Laser Eye Surgery? Please share your experience

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 41 total)
  • Profile photo of TheCairnsInvestorTheCairnsInvestor
    @thecairnsinvestor

Hello,

Looking at having Lasik laser eye surgery. Went to a Lasik seminar around 2 years ago, but didn't have the money back then, but now thinking more seriously about it. Saw that, that Dr Andrew Rochford off TV's What's good for you" had it done; but one thing that surprised me was that the Eye Doctor said that at around 43 (Andrew was around 28 at the time) he'll have to start wearing glasses for reading again as your eyes diminish from around mid 40's onwards. Still at age 31 myself I think 12 or more years of great vision is worth spending around $7,000 on for both eyes.

I'd appreciate others sharing their experiences (hopefully all positive); particularly those who had it done maybe 5-10 years ago & what their eyes are like now; also like to know your age then or now (if you don't mind) & if the above scenario about wearing glasses is true or not?

I've spent the last 16 years or so with glasses & really missed out on being able to do a lot of outdoor activities; particularly swimming & going to the beach. Much appreciated in advance. :)

Profile photo of GeoffBeckGeoffBeck
    @geoffbeck
    Hey Cairns,
    My other half is looking at laser treatment surgery too, her research has shown that don't get it done in Cairns. It's about $4,000.00 cheaper to get it done in Sydney. The saving covers the travel costs and change. We too live in Cairns.
    Cheers,
    GeoffB (fellow Cairns investor)
    Profile photo of jkmtjkmt
    @jkmt

Hi,
    I had lasik surgery two years ago. It was the best thing I could have done. I was 38 at the time, and yes, I will probably need glasses for reading in my mid-40s, though this along the lines of not having to use them constantly, just for specific tasks.

I had the surgery done in Hornsby, Sydney, and it cost me $3000 per eye. Definitely worth it from my point of view, although it felt like a big hit at the time. There was a bit more pain than I had been told to expect (which was 'very little'), but the surgery only lasts a couple of minutes and I was driving by the following afternoon without any hassles.

My brother had the surgery about 10 years ago, and when I spoke to him about it before my surgery, he was still happy.

Best of luck with it,
    Jenny

Profile photo of LinarLinar
    @linar

I had PRK surgery done about 6 months ago.  My eyes weren't suitable for LASIK.  LASIK is when a flap over the cornea is peeled back and PRK is when the cells over the cornea are scraped off.  Apparently PRK is a little more painful and the healing time is greater.

I am now 39 and I LOVE it.  My eyes still occasionally get a bit dry but other than that it is fantastic.  I hated wearing glasses and I have two little kids who thought it was just hilarious to take my glasses off.  Every morning I take pleasure in the fact that I can look around without having to put glasses on.

Just do it.

Cheers

K

Profile photo of mackarmackar
    @mackar

I knew someone who instead of having lasik surgery had a lens implanted in each eye so her sight will remain good forever i believe?? no matter how old she gets…
    it cost her more (approx 5k per eye instead of 3k ) but said she was very happy… can't remember what it was called though…….. K something

Profile photo of mikekingmikeking
    @mikeking

Hi,

I had Lasik surgery done by Dr Rogers (Eye Institute) at Chatswood in Sydney 4 years ago. I'm 40 now. It cost me $4000 all up then. Was the best thing I have ever done. I had surgery at 1.30pm on a Friday, on Saturday morning I had 20/20 vision, and I haven't looked back since.

I was told that I "might" need to wear reading glasses when I get older, but not that I "would" have to. No issues so far, and my vision is still perfect.

cheers
    mike

Profile photo of tammytammy
    @tammy

My husband had PRK at the Eye Institute in Chatswood in 2000 and apart from dry eyes occasionally, is very pleased with the results. In his occupation, it has made life a lot easier. At the time we researched all doctors who were performing this surgery and felt confident in our choice. It was interesting to note that whilst in the waiting room we ran into a husband who was waiting for his wife. She was having hers redone as a different clinic had not produced satisfactory results. We were happy we chose the clinic we did and didnot go the cheaper clinic.

All the best
    Tammy

Profile photo of chefmanchefman
    Participant
    @chefman

Hello there,
    My wife had it done 2 years ago and hasnt looked back and it cost $4,000 in melbourne. I knew it had worked when within 3 days she woke up one morning and looked at me and siad you are very unattractive man!!!! Yep!!! it worked!
    Chefman

Profile photo of McNormanMcNorman
    Participant
    @mcnorman

Went 18 yrs with glasses, got lasik for 7k 3yrs ago, best thing ever done

Profile photo of sickeye27sickeye27
    @sickeye27

Before I had my treatment with Dr. Wiles at Lasik-1, I had trouble seeing clearly even with my glasses on. Now I can see my alarm clock without holding it in front of my face and I can see road signs without squinting. I don’t hate driving at night anymore. My life is so much better now; I only wish I had gone to Lasik-1 sooner! Thank you for helping me see what I’ve been missing!"

Profile photo of sickeye27sickeye27
    @sickeye27

LASIK was the best thing I’ve ever done for myself. I am a mother of a 3 year old and a 1 year old and that means a lot of waking up in the middle of the night. This translated to sleeping in my contacts so that I could see what I was doing when I had to check on my kids; after 20 years, it was starting to take a toll on the health of my eyes. Dr. Wiles is so informative and has such a calm demeanor; he put me at ease even though I was nervous about the procedure. He went through all of the steps involved in the treatment so that I knew exactly what to expect. I appreciate everything he has done to make my vision what it is today. I can now see 20/20 with no help."

Profile photo of elle beagleelle beagle
    @elle-beagle

Hi,
    just a thought, but you may like to read the details of the court case Rogers V/s Whitaker. They are freely available on the web. There is a lesser known case (swathed in non discloser clauses), Rogers V/s Yertutan. It was settled out of court in Ms Yertutans favor.

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

My brother had Lasik over 10 years ago when he lived in the states. It was a new procedure back then. He used to require quite thick glasses, but since the op he has been fine. He compains of some unusual night vision from time to time, but he seems fine.

I looked into it a few years back, because like most people, glasses can be a pain in the backside from time to time.

However, in my research I discovered http://www.visionsurgeryrehab.org/ and they put me off. I didn't want to be one of the statistics who doesn't work out as my vision is too important to be stuffed up, even slightly.

Each to his own though, and it's great to hear so many positive reports from forumites.

Cheers,

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of JNMJNM
    @jnm

I had the lasik correction procedure done on both my eyes around 8 years ago in the USA when I was living there. First of all, the procedure should not be referred to as 'surgery' as there is no surgery involved. I prefer the term eyesight correction. It took a whole 1 minute of sitting in a kind of dentist chair, the laser machine is brought down in front of your face and aligned with your eyes and then a touvh of a button for each eye and bingo, it's done!
    I had researched the procedure quite thoroughly before submitting myself to it. and it pays to go an experienced and skillful eye doctor even if they charge a bit more. at teh time in the US, the procedure ranged from $2000us to $5000us. after visiting a few doctors that did it, I decided to go with the one I felt most comfortable with and based on my research seemed most experienced and qualified. I paid $5000us for both eyes.
    I have been ompletely happy since, and I had been wearing glasses since 15yo, I was in my 40s when I had it done. the doctor there had also told me that teh correction procedure does not mean that I might not need reading glasses as I get older. he explained to me that is due to the normal weaking of the muscles of the eye and laser does not correct that aspect. it corrects the cornea of the eye that causes short-sightedness.
    I think the procedure has now been refined quite well and has been around for a while. but I emphasise that the result is really depended on the skill of the doctor. he has to be very precise with how he aligns the laser to your cornea, that's the key.
    if you can afford it and feel confident with the doctor, go for it. it's great not being dependent on glasses.
    good luck
    JNM 

Profile photo of bundyanimalbundyanimal
    Participant
    @bundyanimal

The Cairns Investor,

I have had Laser Surgery done 72 hours ago……………

It was something I have been tossing up about as well. I have had glassess from 17 years old, and am now 35. I have predominantly been wearing contacts for all those years, as I played sports and was doing swimming.

I went for my post op analysis on Saturday (the day after) and the guy said it is spot on. I have to do about 3 or 4 post op (checks) within the next year (all part of the cost), to make sure everything is ok.

I have had it done to both eyes, and the procedure took no more than 25min. You have to take a full day off from work, and get someone to pick you up from the clinic, but I hopefully will be able to say in a few years time, it is well worth it.

I am in the Sunshine Coast in Queensland, and had the full blown laser surgery done. (The actual laser to cut, not the mechanical plane) This was a bit more expensive, but I figured if it is a better procedure so be it. It was Intralase.

I found the people very professional and helpful. I went to Brisse for the surgery, and had my post op check up the next day (saturday) in Maroochydore. I go back on Friday for the weekly, another 3 weeks for the monthly, and then in a years time for the final annual checkup.

If the operation produces any over or underexposed eyesight, I get this carried out free within the 12 months.

You are correct in saying that our eyes generally deteriorate by the time you reach 45 years, but for me, I could see quite clearly reading papers, but had trouble seeing in the distance, driving etc. I will know I may need glasses to read newspapers in the next 10 years, but hopefully, will not need to worry about contacts and glasses for my farsight again.

If need further info, just give word.

Profile photo of MacnattMacnatt
    @macnatt

Hi there,

I have been very interested to read this post as I to have been thinking about Lasik surgery as I have astigmatisms which cause shortsightedness and I believe can be corrected by this procedure.

It occurred to me when reading the posts that as I am 35 if my eyes are going to deteriorate in my 40's due to weakening of the muscles which I believe generally causes longsightedness in people whose eyes were otherwise normal, does that mean that my shortsightedness will become longer and perhaps self correct with age.

Just a thought
    Nat

Profile photo of clubhondaclubhonda
    Participant
    @clubhonda
    Profile photo of The FlyThe Fly
    @the-fly

Hey CI,

I had LASIK done in March.  I am 38 and had been thinking about it for at least 5 years since my brother had it done with outstanding results.  It is the most amazing thing you can imagine.  People that don't suffer short-sightedness don't get it.  It's brilliant.  If you are a suitable candidate and have the funds, do it.

You are also able to claim 20% of the cost after the first $1500 dollars on your tax return.  I checked the ATO website and it qualifies as it is not considerd to be a "cosmetic" procedure.  My LASIK cost $5200 so I will get $740 back.  Make sure you claim any other out-of-pocket dental, medical, chemist, etc, costs throughout the year aswell and get 20% of that back as well.

No more worries about dust or grime getting under my lenses while riding or running or being flushed out while swimming.  It's all good! 

Profile photo of angelodeleon808angelodeleon808
    Participant
    @angelodeleon808

I had Lasik 2 years ago, although I still wear glasses because my eye condition is already severe. Im still glad I made that decision because it saved my vision.

And I thank God for that.

Profile photo of opusca1opusca1
    @opusca1

forget it.

i had it done 2005, amd now wearing glasses again!!!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.